AV Rant #708: Moar Powah!
Our Listeners of the Week are Jeremy and Joe for their donations, and our 124 Patreon Patrons, as well as Ken M. for talking us up to SVS. We also want to thank Efrain, Michael, and Martin for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen and send in questions!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Logitech is killing the Harmony Express Remote, but you can get a Harmony Elite in its place for free: https://is.gd/ahf4qi
– 0:10:15 The Marantz 2020 AV Receiver lineup was announced. And we do a little comparison between those and Denon’s 2020 models for DJ and Karl: https://is.gd/KaTg98
– Gregory sent in some photos of how he turned a 2×6 wall into staggered studs without losing any floorspace.
0:20:10 Infinite Gary asks how he can be sure he’s hearing a “correct” audio presentation in any given room or setup, while we deal with some of the worst technical issues behind the scenes with our Skype call and OBS, so apologies for that!
0:26:14 Tate L. sparks a discussion about trying to keep track of which streaming services support the highest quality formats on which pieces of hardware. And we discuss NBC/Universal’s recently launched Peacock streaming service: https://is.gd/8AsM8z
0:39:31 RD needs a slim, 4K and HDR compatible, 27-inch display for under $400.
– Dell Ultrathin S2719DM: https://is.gd/RqX3rz
0:42:24 Freddy used an InstallGear ground loop isolator to solve a loud hum, but he wants to know if a power conditioner would further improve things.
– InstallGear Ground Loop Isolator: https://is.gd/r364VN
0:48:05 Earle B. asks which movies were specifically mixed with Front Wide channels. And then he asks if he correctly calculated how much louder his bass got by stacking two pairs of subwoofers, and what will happen after running room correction.
– Multi-Sub Optimizer Software: https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html
0:54:09 Dean T. asks how to get the audio working from his Evolution brand cable box that won’t play nice with his new Yamaha Receiver.
1:00:31 Jeremy asks about projection screen options in France, which projector to get, which Ultra HD Blu-ray player, and whether his new contractor is right about a subwoofer downgrade.
– Elite Screens France: https://is.gd/mu2jFb
– Epson TW9400 (5050UB): https://is.gd/Xsl8DU
– Panasonic UB420: https://is.gd/FyMU0h
1:12:48 Timothy S. asks if he should set his Front L/R speakers as Large since their measured response shows good extension and linearity at his seat.
1:17:30 Don S. updates us on the placement of his speakers in his RV, so we can deliver an emphatic answer about what he should do to upgrade.
– KEF HTF7003: https://is.gd/G7Moe7
– Sonos Beam 5.1 Set: https://is.gd/HpZU5D
1:20:57 Nick B. gets our thoughts on what to do with his many retro gaming consoles that require lots of HDMI inputs. Plus we offer a speaker suggestion.
– RetroPie: https://retropie.org.uk/
– Denon S950H: https://is.gd/TaXVwB
– Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
1:36:52 Carl J. asks if his room is too small for Atmos, and why he could’ve sworn his single SVS PB-1000 did a better job of pressurizing his open space than dual SB13-Ultra subs.
1:46:20 Ken S. asks about puck lights, how to run series wiring for two pairs of Surround speakers, and how best to mount Ascend HTM-200SE on the wall.
– 120 Volt Bulk Puck Lights: https://is.gd/I3TSXQ
– Monoprice Low Profile Speaker Wall Mounts: https://is.gd/A2Eo9P
– Museum Putty: https://is.gd/PXCHxt