AV Rant #703: Jitter, Judder, Dumber
Congrats again to Scott M. whose name was drawn from our list of Patreon Patrons to receive a model of a sci-fi spaceship from Andrew L.!
Our Listeners of the Week are Derek and Manuel for their donations, and our 121 Patreon Patrons. And we also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going that we received from: Bob, Ari, Greg, Nathan D., Nathan W., Rob, and Joe. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– 0:10:08 Denon announced their 2020 X-Series Receivers with (limited) HDMI 2.1 support and some nice feature upgrades, including promised future support for DTS:X Pro: https://is.gd/AQl8Ro
– Alex M. notes that the Disney+ app on Xbox One supports Atmos audio now.
– Damien D. confirmed with Monoprice directly that the Alpha Series backer boxes work with both the 8″ and 6.5″ Alpha in-ceiling speakers: https://is.gd/d16o1F
– Nathan D. thought we’d get a laugh from his stereo UE Boom outdoor speaker positioning.
– Joe K. just wanted to share the equipment rack and SVS SB16-Ultra subwoofer changes he’s made during quarantine.
0:26:09 Nathan W. asks which projectors to consider below the Epson 5050UB’s ~$2,800 price point, and whether Anthem’s instructions for how to adjust subwoofer level and phase would work.
– Epson 5040UB (if there’s stock): https://is.gd/CZdYw1
– Epson 4010: https://is.gd/QYy4wI
– Epson 3800: https://is.gd/UDZesp
– Sony VPL-HW45ES: https://is.gd/EqzJan
0:32:52 Dean T. asks about HDCP 2.3 vs. 2.2, and retaining surround sound in the Main Zone while playing a 2-channel downmix in Zone 2.
– Marantz SR5014: https://is.gd/Arz2HJ
– Denon X3600H: https://is.gd/mjbezO
0:40:38 Brian L. asks about potential improvements for his large, outdoor area, including speaker, subwoofer, and TV options.
– HSU horn-loaded and coaxial speakers: https://is.gd/oTJjMJ
0:49:55 Robert G. gets instructions on using Zone 2 & 3 to allow a Receiver to act as a multi-channel external amplifier.
0:51:23 Mark N. gets our input on which changes we think will be most beneficial in his 5.1 theater.
0:57:46 Kevin T. asks about the bitrate shown for a disc that is playing vs. the bandwidth figures stated for HDMI cables.
0:59:48 Ben F. finds out how we configure our settings when auditioning speakers. Then we discuss absorption panel thickness vs. the frequencies they absorb. And we talk about the RBH Signature SV Reference speakers.
– GiK Acoustics 2″ panels: https://is.gd/jnZUfY
– Acoustimac 2″ panels: https://is.gd/IqwAFn
– GiK Acoustics 2″ with air gap: https://is.gd/huddiS
– Acoustimac 4″ panels: https://is.gd/2oqYJF
– GiK Acoustics 4″ with air gap: https://is.gd/FPioFx
1:11:44 Gurinder gets our opinions on the Home Theater Gurus YouTube channel, as well as asking about fixing a broken banana plug, reducing footfall noise, fishing a speaker wire behind a wall, and making DIY backer boxes.
1:19:33 Martin A. shares his subwoofer measurements, and we discuss the dip in his crossover region.
1:24:37 Ari M. needs some help getting HDMI-ARC working between his Hisense Roku TV and Denon S640H Receiver.
– Denon HDMI-CEC settings: https://is.gd/vKd6Xs
1:28:32 Greg P. asks what to do when he needs a longer power cord for his APC J25 battery backup.
1:35:28 Nathan W. asks about using Room EQ Wizard during Rob’s http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/ , and how high in frequency the bass sweep should sound uniform.
1:42:07 Heath B. asks about the new Aperion Clearus in-ceiling speakers, and why so many in-ceiling speakers have built-in angles now.
1:45:44 R.D. asks how the HDMI Auto Lip Sync function works.
1:49:11 Alex Y. asks about a sealed vs. ported sub for his townhouse Living Room, how to secure bookshelf speakers to stands, how to wall mount Ascend Sierra Luna speakers, what we think of subwoofer isolation pads, and how we would acoustically treat his particular room.
– Museum Putty: https://is.gd/PXCHxt
– VideoSecu speaker wall mount: https://is.gd/PMTZd4
– VideoSecu side-clamping speaker mount: https://is.gd/U5tOlu