AV Rant #700: Spiked Speaker Stands
700 Episodes! Thank you all so much for watching, listening, and sending your questions and rants to us!
Andrew L. is offering one of his awesome models of a spaceship from one of his favorite sci-fi series. We will draw the name of one of our Patreon Patrons (https://www.patreon.com/avrantpodcast ) in two weeks. And we’ll put that person in touch with Andrew to receive the model ship!
Check out Tom’s appearance on the Bright Side Home Theater Podcast: https://nerdylegion.com/episodes/brightsideht-34
Our Listeners of the Week are Rafal and Jayson for their donations, plus our 112 Patreon Patrons, as well as Ash who provided our Episode #700 artwork, and Jason D. and Fred C. who both told SVS we recommended them. And we appreciate the notes from Daryl, Mark, Jonathan, Steve, Karl, Rob, Jason, and Graham who all expressed their gratitude for keeping the podcast going.
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Via Karl R. – NextGen TV (aka ATSC 3.0) won’t roll out in 2020 as initially planned: https://is.gd/crdOoD
– Daryl A. has almost completed his theater, and he used Crutchfield’s SpeakerCompare (https://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/speakercompare/default.aspx
) and our advice to do it.
– Jay backs up Gurinder’s suggestion to Tom to try a Nespresso coffee machine.
– Chris H. clarifies that Apple AirPlay is lossless, but limited to CD quality.
– Jack R. tells us about HushFrame Connectors from IsoStore, which cost less than sound clips and can take up less space: https://is.gd/StXCrP
– Damien D. regales us with his tale of assembling and hanging his Silver Ticket projection screen all by himself.
0:29:59 Ilango asks about outdoor speakers that can go in planter boxes, and potentially using an outdoor subwoofer.
– Paradigm Rock Monitor 80: https://is.gd/gfm6sZ
0:36:33 Adam M. asks about his choices for: subwoofers, projection screen, Surround Back speakers, Surround speakers, Atmos speakers, and a Receiver.
– SVS PB-1000: https://is.gd/0bILgB
– SVS SB-2000 Pro: https://is.gd/5Ko0nJ
– SVS Prime Satellites: https://is.gd/HQJy64
– SVS Prime Elevation: https://is.gd/OaFWnL
– Silver Ticket Screen: https://is.gd/uFtGg1
– SeymourAV: https://is.gd/IX33Mp
– Denon X3600H: https://is.gd/mjbezO
0:53:26 Neil H. asks if it’s ok to sit closer than the THX recommended distance, and whether he’d notice an improvement with a THX Certified Receiver.
0:59:37 Aras V. asks for a ballpark figure to soundproof a dedicated room in a townhouse, whether performance will be different on the ground floor vs. a basement, and how much space he’ll lose.
1:04:56 Mark N. has a max budget of $500 for a subwoofer, so he asks for the biggest bang for his buck, and whether to continue using his 8-incher as a second sub.
– SVS PB-1000: https://is.gd/0bILgB
– Monoprice Monolith 10″ Ported: https://is.gd/H0WOAy
1:07:48 Infinite Gary asks if we think he’d notice the difference between Trinnov and Anthem Room Correction, why room correction programs play multiple “chirps” out of each speaker, and what we think about people upgrading home theater gear just because they love new gear whether it improves performance or not.
1:15:46 Nick B. gets an explanation of why increasing the OLED Light setting doesn’t change shadow detail or brightness and contrast settings. We explain those settings, plus gamma, and also touch on channel logo burn-in concerns.
– Rob’s 2017 LG OLED picture settings: https://is.gd/rk5K4m
1:21:59 Bob H. asks about Accessories4Less’ current stock levels and prices.
1:24:55 Nathan W. asks if two subs that can both play down to 20 Hz are really necessary in small rooms, since online room mode calculators don’t show any room modes below 30 Hz if your room is small and enclosed.
1:30:53 Fred C. asks about Apple TV 4K video drop outs, which Ultra HD Blu-ray player to buy, and he stumps us with a radio tuner issue.
– Sony X800M2: https://is.gd/ptiYze
– Panasonic UB450 (import): https://is.gd/QoELRm
1:38:00 Steve G. wants to know why he hears an echo when using Onkyo Accu-Reflex.
1:40:06 Mike P. has us revisit his large, open Living Room, in which we confirm our desire to rotate his setup 90 degrees. Then we mention Ultra Short Throw projectors, ambient light rejecting screens, discuss dual subs, and add a couple more speaker options to his list.
– Optoma CinemaX P1: https://is.gd/60Ucoi
– EluneVision Aurora 4K Perforated: https://is.gd/BDx9Yy
– Ascend Acoustics: http://ascendacoustics.com/
– Martin Logan: https://www.martinlogan.com/en/