AV Rant #692: Sealed vs. Ported Subs Demystified
Our Listeners of the Week are Joseph for his donation, our 112 Patreon Patrons, including Kevin H., as well as Kevin A. for mentioning us at Accessories4Less when he bought a Denon X7200WA, and everyone who continues to express their gratitude to us for continuing to do the podcast, including: Patrick, Justin, and Hank. Thank you all!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMrKH81
MKV files of Dolby’s Blu-ray demo disc test tones: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WzfwAoVvUNsdPI5dQLBCERXJQ_PBLplR?usp=sharing
0:01:00 Tom shares an update on installing his SVS Prime Elevation speakers on his ceiling: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation
In the news:
– Disney will fix The Simpsons incorrect aspect ratio on Disney+ in May: https://is.gd/Ff00ge
– Samsung Display will cease manufacturing LCD panels in 2020, but Samsung Electronics will still make LCD TVs: https://is.gd/vicDod
– Mike S. recommends Behr Scuff Defense paint: https://is.gd/CXls7l
– Herb M. warns that eARC still isn’t working on his Denon X4400H, even after a firmware update.
– RD shares his experience adding some Class-D Crown amplifiers to his setup.
– Gurinder shares his home theater “blunder”, and would like to hear other people’s mishaps, too.
0:25:15 Gurinder asks how different the two “Setting Patterns” in Yamaha Receivers can be, how thick side wall absorption panels should be, whether a 15-inch deep bass trap is overkill, what to use to angle his Center speaker, whether he should put a layer of plastic over the front face of his bass traps, and why HDR seems to smear other details around bright images on his JVC X790 projector.
– SMPads speaker isolation: https://is.gd/v0rAQq
– JVC projector HDR settings: https://is.gd/MuxZEr
0:36:50 Juls requests a small, Class-D amp recommendation in the UK.
– Fosi Audio V1.0G: https://is.gd/CT5k0p
0:38:41 Patrick P. wants a pair of inexpensive desktop speakers.
– The Wirecutter’s computer speaker picks: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-computer-speakers/
– The suspiciously similar-looking Monoprice DT-4BT: https://is.gd/wZDx1l
0:42:00 Joe T. noticed “stuttering” motion on his Sony A9G OLED, and he asks if MotionFlow or CineMotion settings can help.
0:49:44 Ryan asks for our opinions on Home Theater Gurus, and for an SPL Meter recommendation.
– BAFX 3608: https://is.gd/2q2oGO
– Galaxy Audio CM130: https://is.gd/PWgyOF
– Triplett SoniChek: https://is.gd/fRNjHz
0:56:24 Nick B. is getting room construction advice from Ted White at https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/ . To nail down exact placement, he asks about his projector mount, which screen to get, whether to keep Surround Back speakers, where to place ceiling speakers, how many electrical outlets are needed, whether SeymourAV’s pre-calibration service is worth it, whether certain sections of his room should be painted black, and we offer some unsolicited acoustic panel placement advice.
– Male electrical inlet: https://is.gd/Omf8U0
1:21:46 Justin B. gets our opinions on Home Theater Review’s article, “The Next Frontier in AV is the User Interface”: https://is.gd/jLBLIo
1:29:44 Carl wants to know where he can download Dolby Atmos test tones.
– Dolby downloadable Atmos trailers: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-trailers.html
– MKV files of Dolby’s Blu-ray demo disc test tones: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WzfwAoVvUNsdPI5dQLBCERXJQ_PBLplR?usp=sharing
1:31:35 Tom K. wants to dig deeper into objectively measuring whether a given speaker can cope with a large volume of air at frequencies close to where they crossover to a subwoofer, and he asks for our take on Front L/R speaker angles.
1:40:03 Chris H. wants to make sure Samsung’s CHG70 monitors can be wall mounted on a VESA mount.
1:41:35 Nathan W. is stuck waiting out the pandemic in an RV. He’s hoping to find an HDR-capable display, not larger than 40″, that can run on DC power.
– DisplayHDR certified monitors: https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/
– Royole Moon headset: https://is.gd/AW413S
1:47:57 Carlos P. wants more details about when it’s ok to use a sealed subwoofer and a ported subwoofer together as dual subs, and whether doing so can give you “the best of both worlds”.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!