AV Rant #690: Audio-Technica ATH-CKS5TW Wireless In-Ear Headphones Review
Our Listeners of the Week are our 111 Patreon Patrons, including Mark R., as well as Joe K. for letting many vendors know we recommended the products his company just installed in a seniors’ home, Brian F. for talking us up to SVS, Ted M. for sending Rob an Amazon gift card, Jorge S. for putting his AVRant donation towards his local charities instead, and all of the AVRant Listeners who expressed gratitude for us continuing to do the podcast. Thank you!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMa4Ng9
0:16:57 Tom reviews the $150 Audio-Technica ATH-CKS5TW fully wireless in-ear headphones: https://is.gd/rCC6bA
In the news:
– Disney, Universal, and Warner Bros have made movies that are still “in theaters” available online for $20, while Sony and Lionsgate plan to follow: https://is.gd/rEMHHj
– Sony unveiled detailed PS5 specs: https://is.gd/7lkkwU
– Allen G. recommends the Amazon Fire TV Recast as a network-attached OTA DVR: https://is.gd/LxSifn
– Rob reminds listeners about the home theater spreadsheets at https://carltonbale.com/home-theater/home-theater-calculator/ that were recommended by Alan Hutchinson during our HTMarket HT Design Home Theater Seating interview: http://www.avrant.com/av-rant-685-interview-with-alan-hutchinson-from-htmarket/
0:37:54 Ryan asks if rockwool insulation carries health concerns, what should go on the back of his DIY panels, and what lamp mode to use for HDR on his Epson 5050UB.
– Mineral Wool safety: https://is.gd/wQF4p0
0:44:45 Jason H. asks: Bookshelf or Tower speakers?
0:48:44 Ben F. asks about bass trap placement, and how to dial in more than two subwoofers.
– Multi-Sub Optimizer Software: https://is.gd/dOarPe
0:54:55 Juls asks how to amplify nine Chromecast Audio dongles, and which backer boxes he needs for his in-ceiling speakers.
1:01:23 Nick B. asks about LG’s OLED Light setting, why he sometimes gets a purple tint, and how to setup eARC.
1:09:54 Damien D. asks why one frequency response measurement that looks flatter sounds more boomy.
1:14:42 Daniel W. wants to know if he can move his acoustic panels higher.
1:20:27 Andrew L. & Chris M. ask about Audyssey Dynamic EQ’s “Reference Level Offset”, and the “midrange compensation” setting.
1:34:07 Victor D. asks if buying Ultra HD Blu-rays is a waste.
1:38:56 Ted M. wants to know if he should follow the “rule of 3rds”, or strictly follow the advice to put his seat 38% of his room’s length from his back wall.
1:43:28 Brandon N. has us compare the Paradigm Cinema 110 CT vs. a Def Tech ProCinema speaker package.
1:47:01 Infinite Gary asks about the 22.2 channel audio that’s part of NHK’s Super Hi-Vision broadcast TV standard, and what we think about audio transients that seem to draw attention to the attacks of individual notes.
– Super Hi-Vision: https://is.gd/xmmeCw
1:58:05 Anthony asks about 20 Point White Balance and whether he should ever change the Target Luminance value.
2:02:57 Clara has us speculate what will happen to TV and other AV gear prices this year.
2:08:02 Mark R. writes to us on behalf of his brother, Mick, who has a two-storey theater, and questions about: speaker options, configuration and placement, subwoofer placement, projector mounting and screen size, acoustic treatment, and more.
– APC J15 battery backup: https://is.gd/GmGgSh
2:28:48 Francis A. asks why his Panasonic UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray player is always stuck in Dolby Vision, and how to backup 3D Blu-rays and play them using Plex.
– MakeMKV: http://www.makemkv.com/
– Rob discussing 3D Blu-ray conversion on the Entertainment 2.0 Podcast: https://is.gd/1IfSDe
– Converting 3D Blu-rays to SBS MKV: https://is.gd/48cUth