AV Rant #688: We Still Helped
Our Listeners of the Week are Davide for his donation via PayPal, our 110 Patreon Patrons, including PJ, Jason H., and Gib who increased his monthly donation amount, as well as Ken B. for sending Rob an Amazon gift card and letting Accessories4Less know that we recommended them, and both Chris H. and Lee H. for talking us up to Aperion Audio.
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– RedBox is renting Ultra HD Blu-rays from their kiosks in 15 US cities: https://is.gd/P1r6ef
– Francis A. is glad we mentioned the Bright Side Home Theater Podcast: https://nerdylegion.com/podcasts/brightsideht
– Gurinder didn’t suck the tweeter.
– Dan C. updates us on his PS4 Pro HDR settings issues that we thought were caused by his HDMI cables.
– Nick B. found our HTMarket interview with owner Alan Hutchinson helpful: http://www.avrant.com/av-rant-685-interview-with-alan-hutchinson-from-htmarket/
0:15:37 Tom figures two heads are better than one when he tries to figure out which SoundBar best fits his parents’ needs and budget.
– HEOS Bar: https://is.gd/mDII7N
0:24:25 Scott S. wants to know if new 4K JVC projectors will be announced later this year.
0:28:07 Damien D. asks about a little green blob in his Epson 5040UB’s image, which screen he should buy, which picture settings to use, which active HDMI cable to buy, and whether to move his gear into a rack.
– Silver Ticket 110″ fixed frame, white: https://is.gd/TJQIcb
– Projector Reviews Epson 5040UB/6040UB settings: https://is.gd/KPnR1w
– Blue Jeans Cable Series-3A HDMI: https://is.gd/aUKCYn
– Peerless AV Rack: https://is.gd/JacuwR
0:38:45 Nathan D. asks where his friend should position his Surround speakers in an L-shaped room.
0:41:59 Chris M. got seemingly conflicting advice about mixing a ported subwoofer with a sealed sub, and he wants to know whether SVS is right or we are.
0:48:06 R.D. asks if Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is all he needs, or if he should also use his subwoofers’ own DSP, and potentially a miniDSP.
– Rob’s 12 Step Guide to Setting Up Dual Subwoofers: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
0:52:56 Jay A. asks about switching between multiple Audyssey configurations, and potentially buying taller “back row” recliners.
1:01:40 Jason H. asks which Receiver and bookshelf speakers to buy for his large, open Living Room plus in-ceiling speakers in his kitchen.
– Marantz SlimLine NR1609: https://is.gd/x1x75m
– HSU HB-1 MK2: https://is.gd/OI8gRD
1:07:39 Patrick P. asks which microphones we use to record the podcast.
– Audio-Technica AT2005USB: https://is.gd/iwWdGR
– Audio-Technica AT2020: https://is.gd/2PcIU2
– ART Dual Pre USB: https://is.gd/qv6HMV
– PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL: https://is.gd/fWLPTz
1:11:14 Manuel A. asks if he should get a cheap, temporary Center speaker, or just use a phantom Center while he builds his D+S Tech Labs speakers: https://is.gd/CaQ8ql
1:14:10 Zeke N. gets tips on how to easily adjust his Center and Subwoofer output levels on his Denon X3400H Receiver.
1:17:22 Ken B. gets clarification about where to set the crossover knob on his subwoofer.
1:19:55 Jeremy asks about TV wall mounts with lateral adjustment, in-wall speaker backer boxes, and which Klipsch speakers to buy.
– Sanus OLF18 Full Motion Mount with side-to-side positioning: https://is.gd/1dqzkr
1:26:00 Infinite Gary gets our take on soundtracks with vertical panning, and HD Vinyl: https://is.gd/TtdSYF
1:30:07 Carlos P. asks what happens if you plug a ported speaker that wasn’t designed for optional port plugs.
1:32:28 Manuel T. asks if he should sell his Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Management System now that he’s getting a new Receiver.
1:35:08 Juls H. asks if “works with Google Assistant” is as good as “Chromecast built-in” and how to easily stream BBC Radio, and how to power Zone 2 speakers if he Main Zone is a full 7.2.4 Atmos configuration.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!