AV Rant #687: Tom’s SVS Speakers Impressions
Our Listeners of the Week are our 108 Patreon Patrons, as well as Chris M. for talking us up to SVS.
0:01:52 We won’t call it a full review, but Tom starts the podcast by giving his early impressions of his 9 new SVS Ultra and Prime Satellite speakers.
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– LG Display’s OLED factory in China is months behind schedule: https://is.gd/UXZ1nA
– Scott Wilkinson’s article for TechHive describes the results of a double blind test of 8K vs. 4K resolution: https://is.gd/sdTbXe
– John P. shares his results after following our subwoofer recommendations and Rob’s 12 Step Guide to Setting Up Dual Subwoofers: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers
– DJ disputes the claim we made last week that you’ll only use projector screen masking thrice. He ALWAYS uses his for 2.35:1 content.
0:26:10 John H. asks how he should handle an unusual opening at the front of his room.
– Z-Line 3-in-1 TV Stands with Mounts: https://is.gd/llNlSh
0:32:03 R.D. asks if he should drop $800 on three Outlaw monoblock amps.
– Outlaw Model 5000: https://is.gd/NIJfC8
0:36:55 Dan H. wants to know if anything from SVS can stack up to the performance he’s heard from a pair of JL Audio Fathom subwoofers.
0:42:22 Joe T. asks why some discs default to less than their best audio quality, and why his Receiver indicates his Top Middle speakers are active when they shouldn’t be.
0:49:22 Dan C. wants to know if his OLED TV, Receiver, and PS4 Pro settings are correct, because he isn’t getting an image.
0:53:09 Darren M. asks how Front and Rear Height speakers ought to be aimed.
0:55:45 Abhue F. wants to know how to get affordable HDMI 2.1 components ahead of the release of the Xbox Series X.
0:58:49 Nick B. wants an update on OLED vertical banding, which Ultra HD Blu-ray player to buy, and if it’s ok for his Outlaw subwoofer’s volume knob to be turned up to the max.
1:09:28 Jay A. gets our take on the 50-inch Seismic Monitor Subwoofer from Ascendo in Germany: https://is.gd/nPQyj1
1:18:34 Rob G. wants to know if cutting the power to his amplifier by using a smart switch is potentially causing damage.
1:21:39 Mike A. asks about Apple TV 4K volume level, which acoustic panels to buy and where to place them, and whether he should get an ambient light rejecting screen.
– Elunevision Aurora 4K ALR Tab-Tensioned: https://is.gd/pnQdH1
1:31:48 Dwain asks if he should get an 82-inch Samsung Q60R or an 86-inch LG UM8070, but our real answer is neither.
– Samsung Q70R: https://is.gd/Ol9oCA
1:34:59 Ben F. asks about low end extension for on-wall speakers and crossing over to a sub at 100 Hz, putting insulation and on-wall speakers on his front wall, and whether to try and make his front stage into a bass trap.
1:39:12 Davide F. has an amazing villa in Tuscany. We discuss TV options and placement, speaker options and placement, subwoofer options, Atmos, and wiring.
– Sewell Ghost Wire: https://is.gd/Fz1dhQ
2:01:20 Chris H. wants a 4K HDR display, but at a 27-inch size, so we discuss VESA DisplayHDR certification for computer monitors: https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/
– Samsung CHG70: https://is.gd/S3M6xA