AV Rant #672: Frame Rate Roulette
PRIZE DRAW: When we reach 100 Patreon Patrons, Andrew L. has graciously offered to send a hand-made collectible of a Sci-Fi-themed model to one lucky Patron! Let’s see if we can get to 100 by Christmas!
Our Listeners of the Week are Ryan for his donation, our 92 Patreon Patrons, including James “House of Cards”, as well as James again for letting SVS know we sent him their way, Andrew L. for telling Gibby’s his Denon X3600H purchase was our recommendation, and Damien D. for telling Ascend that our recommendation, “and little else,” convinced him to go with them.
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– SVS released new 2000 Pro Series subwoofers: https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-pro-series
– Plex added “free”, ad-supported movies and TV shows: https://is.gd/rM6Wyr
– Ang Lee’s Gemini Man will be in 60 fps on Ultra HD Blu-ray: https://is.gd/RsJrin
– OLED comes to Coke bottles: https://is.gd/OdeUwh
0:20:42 Andrew L. heard a difference when he changed speaker wire, and we discuss how that could have happened.
0:30:13 Nathan W. wants to know if we agree with the suggestions made by Home Theater Gurus regarding subwoofer gain matching: https://youtu.be/tDaZT5G0Mwg
0:42:43 Tap T. asks for some acoustic treatment ideas, and ways to control his ambient light levels.
– Acoustimac Panels: https://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-panels
– Rob W.’s DIY printed panels: https://is.gd/aRvSKT
– METechs motorized curtain rods: https://is.gd/KPMZmj
0:52:40 Carlos P. asks how to get HDMI-ARC working on his LG C9 OLED, and what the OLED Light setting should be.
1:00:46 Rob W. wants to hear our stories of compromising on a purchase to help him decide if he should keep the TV he bought, and we go through full LG OLED picture settings: http://www.avrant.com/rob-hs-lg-oled-tv-settings/
1:07:28 Mitch R. has us go over Apple TV 4K vs. NVidia Shield for streaming video services again, and we dig into detailed output settings, color space switching, and frame rate switching.
1:18:10 Patricio P. bought a Vizio P Quantum X. He gets Atmos from its streaming video apps, but not from its Plex app, so we explain the difference, and recommend he buy an NVidia Shield “Tube”, since he already has a Plex Server: https://is.gd/Jt7oop
1:21:33 Ryan T. gets our confirmation about his more modest home theater plans. We go over Denon Receiver capabilities, recommend a projector, and discuss smaller speakers, possibly in a white finish.
– BenQ HT2050A: https://is.gd/1othn3
– KEF Q150: https://is.gd/rWYReW
– Aperion Novus: https://is.gd/LncR9U
– Ascend HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
– Klipsch On-Wall: https://is.gd/pLqW0s
1:34:13 Joe K. is designing a home theater for an assisted living facility. We go over his projection and audio system ideas.
– Silver Ticket Woven Acoustic Screen: https://is.gd/zcHxyd
– EluneVision ALR Perforated Screen: https://is.gd/4OBM8F
– EluneVision Ultra Short Throw Screen: https://is.gd/gJ1RIT
– Elite Screens Ultra Short Throw Screen: https://is.gd/4Illib
1:44:05 Ashley S. has us go over Xbox One S output settings.
1:46:19 Eddie requests our take on the NAD T 777 V3 7.1.4 Receiver with Dirac.
1:49:24 Infinite Gary asks if there’s a technical reason why live sports broadcasts have inconsistent sound, whether we think Next Gen TV’s object-based audio will offer a solution, and what we think of using more than one speaker to play a single channel.
1:54:46 Josh S. gets the skinny on “OLED black crush”, and whether Panasonic is ever getting back into the US TV market.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!