AV Rant #670: Making History
ANNOUNCEMENT: We will be interviewing Phil Jones from Sound United on Dec. 11, so email us your questions for him!
Our Listeners of the Week are our 93 Patreon Patrons, including John H., and also Mike S for talking us up to Acoustimac, and Phil D. for letting Accessories4Less and SVS know we sent him their way.
Lee Overstreet is our guest co-host this week while Tom is away.
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Warner Music Group added more Dolby Atmos Music to Amazon Music HD: https://is.gd/GGIaCD
– Netflix is mandating all their original content has to be HDR: https://is.gd/R7Alr7
– Google Stadia’s launch makes some users feel like it’s a beta: https://is.gd/2LMGSl
– Lee Overstreet shares some thoughts about his new Sony X800G TV: https://is.gd/5yeY52
– Bernard T. shared some pics of his completed fireplace build with a niche for his TV.
0:21:32 Damien D. asks about: the best usage of some free Owens Corning 703, how to mount and align his “white van” projector, the best paint finish, whether or not to use Audyssey SubEQ HT, and if we think there will be an iTunes Match 2.0 to make your music library into lossless files.
– Rob’s 12 Step Guide to Setting Up Dual Subwoofers: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
0:38:01 Michael R. asks about transcoding video and audio using Emby Media Server and an Amazon Fire TV Cube, as well as streaming his music collection, and playing iTunes Movies on the Fire TV Cube.
0:47:21 Patricio P. asks about acoustically treating his bedroom, whether to get an OLED, and Ultra HD Blu-ray player options.
– My Fabric Designs: https://www.myfabricdesigns.com/
– Spoonflower: https://www.spoonflower.com/
1:00:57 Alan C. asks about Surround and Atmos speaker placement in his open Gathering Room.
1:10:45 Matthew H. gets our comparison of the Epson 5050UB vs. Optoma CinemaX P1 UST projectors.
1:17:53 Andrew needs help deciding which room to use as his theater in his new house, so we discuss layout, motorized curtains, motorized acoustically transparent screens, and speakers.
– Klipsch Reference Premiere on-walls: https://is.gd/pLqW0s
1:27:44 Ilango gets our pick for the very best wireless speaker/subwoofer kit.
– Outlaw OAW4: https://is.gd/lN6EoH
1:30:02 Robin G. gets confirmation that individual speakers can be EQ’d separately using Yamaha YPAO or the Audyssey Editor App, or by using an external miniDSP.
1:33:57 Gurinder gets clarification about Panasonic’s HDR Optimizer vs. frame-by-frame dynamic tone mapping.
1:36:34 Shawn W. gets picks for: speakers to match older RBH Impression Series, Atmos speakers to mount on his ceiling, and bookshelf speakers that can play really loud after we share our opinions of Polk LSi703.
– RBH R-5: https://is.gd/CdCRM1
– Aperion Intimus 4B: https://is.gd/xXazUA
– Boston SoundWare 4.5: https://is.gd/pRIV7O
– PSA MT-110: https://is.gd/Pe4zST
– JTR Noesis 228HT: https://is.gd/BvOYz9
1:44:24 Chris H. asks if a subwoofer crawl is worthwhile.
1:47:33 Raf gets a surprising answer as to whether he should install Front Wide speakers or not.
1:53:05 Wesley M. gets our take on whether to get a Sony X1100ES or Panasonic UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
1:54:13 Dan asks if he should install an anamorphic lens, and whether he should buy a new display measurement meter or calibration software.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!