AV Rant #669: 2019 NVidia Shield Pro Review
Our Listeners of the Week are Brandon for his donation, and our 92 Patreon Patrons.
Pictures shown in this episode:
0:03:30 We review Disney+:
– Star Wars HDR versions: https://youtu.be/VGZmMjPJiAk
– Simpsons getting 4:3 option in 2020: https://is.gd/pwXC8k
– Via Eddie on Twitter – thousands of accounts hacked: https://is.gd/i5q26l
– How to get ESPN+ & Hulu without ads as a bundle: https://is.gd/BZX4qs
0:17:15 2019 NVidia Shield Pro review
In the news:
– Hulu + Live TV gets a price hike: https://is.gd/z7Xm5L
– Netflix and Nickelodeon sign a multi-year deal: https://is.gd/7VBDGm
– Andrew L. shares what he learned having gone through building a theater from the ground up vs. a renovation.
0:28:08 Michael K. gets to build a theater room from scratch. We discuss dimensions, drop ceilings, false walls, seating, and soundproofing.
– Room Mode Calculator: https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc
– Soundproofing Company: https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/
0:46:34 Raul M. sadly had his gear stolen, then he bought expensive new speakers that he’s never taken out of the box. We discuss whether he should try to match them, or sell them and start over.
0:57:30 Mark G. had a TV damaged during a move. We speculate about what’s broken and whether it can be fixed.
1:00:26 Rob W. is trying to decide between a 77″ OLED or a larger QLED.
1:05:55 Ari M. has an Elac Uni-Fi speaker making a scratching noise that we try to diagnose.
1:08:24 Joe K. gets our advice on optimally setting up and bass managing his Def Tech speakers and SuperCube subs.
1:18:06 Alcides N. asks which in-ceiling speakers to buy as Surrounds for his mismatched Martin Logan Motion Mains and B&W Center.
1:25:09 Matthew H. gets confirmation for his Epson 5050UB projector pick, plus Receiver, Ultra HD Blu-ray player, and HDMI cable suggestions.
– Denon X3400H: https://is.gd/6OR6DL
– Denon X3500H: https://is.gd/3s87mU
– Panasonic UB420: https://is.gd/i9Pctw
– Monoprice DynamicView HDMI: https://is.gd/exGf2I
1:30:32 Aras V. got new speakers, but didn’t like his bass response after running Audyssey. And his older Receiver and plasma TV won’t play nice with some Ultra HD Blu-rays.
– Rob’s 12 Step Guide to Setting Up Dual Subwoofers: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
– Monoprice Blackbird HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter: https://is.gd/bSNzZ9
– HD Fury Integral 2: https://is.gd/0KHFZh
1:36:23 Chris H. wants a bedroom speaker upgrade, and we talk through the choices on his list.
1:42:53 Andy A. asks what HBO Max will offer over HBO Now.Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!