AV Rant #667: The Great Culling of Streaming Services
Our Listeners of the Week are Steve for his donation, and our 88 Patreon Patrons, including James “House of Cards” C.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJbfsn1
In the news:
– Netflix will stop working on most pre-2012 devices: https://is.gd/vRRDTU
– Sony is killing PlayStation Vue: https://is.gd/Fsvbnd
– Walmart might sell Vudu: https://is.gd/EPXF3Q
– 2019 NVidia Shield TV & Shield TV Pro fall a hair short of being the runaway best streaming box: https://is.gd/Bf9OAI
0:22:16 Luke K. wants skinny speakers, and he wants to know why most speakers use one, large mid-bass driver rather than a whole bunch of tiny drivers.
– Revel Concerta M8 SP2: https://is.gd/46gBlu
– GoldenEar SuperSat 3: https://is.gd/daUrhq
– Polk S35: https://is.gd/K3kTSx
– Audioengine A2+: https://is.gd/2VT8P6
75″ TVs mentioned:
– LG C9 OLED: https://is.gd/bcsU0C
– Samsung Q90R: https://is.gd/DEbjnQ
– Vizio P Quantum X: https://is.gd/6hLeC0
– Samsung Q80R: https://is.gd/x61Al6
– Q70R: https://is.gd/FKwZLQ
– Sony X900F: https://is.gd/9rzJgs
– Vizio P Quantum: https://is.gd/5ViLX9
0:39:39 Infinite Gary gets our take on CEDIA’s report from AES about Atmos music. And we discuss the port placement on the new Elac Carina speakers.
– CEDIA Podcast: Report from AES: https://is.gd/nzJk3A
– Elac Carina Series: https://is.gd/BE2aCm
– Andrew Jones on Carina design: https://youtu.be/FTKeW9LUzCE
0:54:47 Matt C. (and Karl and Chris) get our thoughts on NVidia’s AI Upscaling. Then we discuss which device in the chain should upscale, whether a new form of upscaling counts as picture “enhancement”, and how AI Upscaling compares and contrasts with audio upmixing.
– NVidia AI Upscaling: https://is.gd/BjE68i
1:08:21 Mike S. is frustrated with Plex, and we discuss metadata management.
1:14:24 Karl R. wants to know if we still hate Apple AirPods now that they’re “Pro”.
1:18:07 Lee Overstreet gets 75″ TV recommendations (see above), entry-level audio package suggestions, thoughts on DIY panels and ways to finish a ceiling, and a list of the cheapest projectors we recommend.
– Denon X1500H: https://is.gd/wzNtXw
– Klipsch Reference Theater Pack: https://is.gd/IpJ0AR
– Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0 Tower Pack: https://is.gd/jnuwNc
– Dayton SUB-1200: https://is.gd/oZlbyW
– BenQ HT2050A: https://is.gd/CbvsTg
– BenQ MH535FHD: https://is.gd/qfY0xR
– BenQ MW535A: https://is.gd/Tqdsp8
1:36:38 Chris H. says his church’s projector developed a bad hot spot over time, so we try to figure out what to do.
1:40:11 Jack R. asks how far apart subwoofers need to be to no longer be co-located.
1:43:55 Steve S. wants to know if there’s a way to get the trade-show-exclusive Dolby Atmos/Vision demo disc to play on his projector. Then we discuss panel and Atmos speaker placement.
1:50:51 Jack R. wants to know how far he should go in his soundproofing efforts.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!