AV Rant #665 MK2: Gemini Man HFR Review
Our Listeners of the Week are our 87 Patreon Patrons, including Brian F.
Lee Overstreet is our guest co-host this week while Tom is away.
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– RBH is discontinuing the Impression and Impression Elite speakers we often recommend, but new versions are in the works:
– New NVidia Shield TV “Tube” and “Pro” models add Dolby Vision:
– Billy M. – Let us know that plugging a Panasonic UB420 Ultra HD Blu-ray player into his Oppo 203 let him use both the HDR Optimizer and anamorphic lens scaling with his projector.
– Lee Overstreet – shares his thoughts on the frame rate of HBO via Amazon Prime Video, and his disappointment with 4K broadcasts of college football.
0:18:34 Brian F. asks if he should get a “Theo” Optoma UHZ65 projector, as modified by TV Specialists, instead of a JVC D-iLA model.
0:27:10 Brannon M. asks about projection distance for his Epson 5040UB, ceiling mounts, picture settings, Panasonic’s HDR Optimizer, Apple TV 4K settings, and acoustic panel placement.
– Peerless PRG: https://is.gd/IwyX1C
– Projector Reviews Epson 5040/6040UB settings (scroll down to the bottom: https://is.gd/KPnR1w
0:50:51 Infinite Gary gets Lee talking about VHS Hi-Fi vs cassettes, and Rob talking about Canadian NHL broadcasts.
– VHS Hi-Fi: https://is.gd/C5wD90
1:00:54 William B. asks about the best paint and color temperature for lighting. Then we talk about how much space is needed behind an acoustically transparent screen, Ascend Sierra-2 EX output capabilities, and neutral on-wall speaker options.
– Sherwin-Williams neutral gray paint: https://is.gd/cww7HH
– Ideal Lume D6500 lighting: https://is.gd/qZA92u
– Ascend Sierra-2 EX: https://is.gd/Qh37ty
– RBH on-wall speakers: https://is.gd/HrTv05
– Legacy Audio on-walls: https://is.gd/fzFcTO
1:13:13 Lior stumps us with a strange DTS Neural:X volume glitch, and we talk about using the Audyssey Editor App save & load options.
1:19:05 Stefan B. requests the best “budget” 75-inch TV, so we refer to Shawn W.’s question above.
1:20:50 Dan C. gets a list of AV Receivers that can do at least 5.2.4.
1:25:04 Leighton has older speakers with foam woofer surrounds that are degrading. We discuss repair options, and talk about replacement speaker options.
– Aperion Intimus: https://is.gd/vhxuD4
1:29:33 Adam G. asks about room layout, seating distance, screen size, Center speaker placement, projector choices, dual vs. single subwoofer placement, and Atmos.
1:46:16 Lee & Rob review Gemini Man with a focus on how it looked in high frame rate.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!