AV Rant #664: Future of HEOS
Our Listeners of the Week are Kevin for his donation, and our 86 Patreon Patrons.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHygozk
In the news:
Amazon Music HD uses SD, HD, and UHD to describe audio: https://is.gd/8gzEmG
It’s the first streaming music service to offer albums in Dolby Atmos: https://is.gd/J3I8I1
And Ted M. asks if Atmos is available on any devices other than the Echo Studio: https://is.gd/EK9tB3
Sound United won’t buy Onkyo and Pioneer after all: https://is.gd/cIjrOT
Microsoft is ending guide data for Windows Media Center: https://is.gd/9tGMcy
– Ian E. – noticed the Panasonic UB420 Ultra HD Blu-ray player is available in the USA for $250: https://is.gd/i9Pctw
– Mike S. – sent an important correction: 20 amp household circuits must use 12 gauge wire.
0:18:38 Jainan asks what kind of door will provide better sound isolation.
0:22:21 Shawn W. wants a wireless speaker with WiFi & Bluetooth for $200.
– Phorus PS5 DTS Play-Fi: http://phorus.com/ps5-speaker
– Yamaha MusicCast 20: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/desktop_audio/musiccast_20/index.html
– HEOS 1: https://usa.denon.com/us/heos-1-portable-wireless-speaker
– Sonos Move: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/move.html
0:30:06 Mark H. asks about waterfall graphs and speaker-to-subwoofer crossovers.
0:39:28 Nathan D. asks if HEOS’ lineup will get a refresh soon.
0:44:12 Ben F. asks for on-wall speaker options, and how much space is needed for an acoustically transparent screen.
– RBH Signature on-walls: https://rbhsound.com/on-wall_sig.php
– RBH Ultra-1: https://rbhsound.com/ultra1.php
– KEF T-Series: https://us.kef.com/speakers/home-theater/t-series.html
– Klipsch Reference Premiere on-walls: https://www.klipsch.com/custom-install/on-wall/reference-premiere-designer-on-wall
0:55:09 Kevin A. asks if the Class-D amps in his Pioneer Receiver are the reason it’s going into protection mode, and if using his Denon as an amplifier will solve his issue.
1:09:33 Carl C. asks all about placement of his GiK absorption panels and potential DIY bass traps.
1:19:11 Alan S. recalls a review from 2003 of the Ohm Walsh 200 MK2 Towers, and we give our take on both the speakers and the review itself.
1:31:40 Allen G. wants to know which $3,000 projector to get for TV, movies, and games, and which screens we recommend.
– Epson 5050UB: https://is.gd/SRX2fB
– Projector Central: https://www.projectorcentral.com
– Projector Reviews: https://www.projectorreviews.com
– Silver Ticket: https://is.gd/9PDpoR
– Elite Screens: https://is.gd/KyjvQJ
– SeymourAV: https://is.gd/oQlBTj
1:35:41 Infinite Gary wants to know what we think of the Olympic Broadcasting Services plans for immersive audio in 2020, and if we think Samsung’s and LG’s manufacturing investments mean OLED TVs will flood the market.
– 2020 Olympics 5.1.4 audio: https://is.gd/1QTJdr
– Samsung converts LCD plants to QD-OLED by 2022: https://is.gd/V2OGT6
1:46:00 Dan H. gets the complex details of movie audio codecs, bitrates, and sampling.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!