AV Rant #663: Anti-Money Grab
Our Listeners of the Week are David for his donation, and our 86 Patreon Patrons.
Pictures shown in this episode:
– NEXTGEN TV is the official CTA name for ATSC 3.0: https://is.gd/1kOqTl
– Oculus Quest VR headset gets hand tracking and USB-C PC connection: https://is.gd/U7BUqS
– Jack R. shared a Twenty Thousand Hertz Podcast episode: The [Compressed] History of Mastering”: https://is.gd/g4U3Gt
– Bernard T. came back to AVRant while building his TV niche just as we were saying how we don’t like niches.
– Brian R. says it’s a good time to buy clearance Cambridge Audio gear, like their AM5 stereo integrated amp for $100: https://is.gd/rxZ5Zt
0:27:44 Infinite Gary wonders if Fox Thursday Night Football in 4K HDR (HLG) was half-baked: https://is.gd/sNsGSk . And we speculate what displays will be like in 10 years.
0:35:24 Andy M. asks about 20 amp circuits, a gear rack in a closet, Harmony Hub remotes, and sending 1080p to a 4K TV.
0:49:32 Damien D. gets us talking about D’Appolito arrays, high sensitivity speakers, existing paintings as acoustic panels, and fully wireless earphones.
– RHA TrueConnect: https://is.gd/OjGN34
– Audio-Technica CKS5: https://is.gd/rCC6bA
1:04:04 Adam G. wants to know all about dedicated Center speaker models.
1:12:10 Andrew L. has spare Paradigm speakers, so he wants to know the best way to deploy them if he wants to try 5.2.4 Atmos.
1:17:35 Ted M. asks about LG’s dynamic tone mapping vs. Dolby Vision.
1:19:03 Bastian asks about where to position a Focal Aria Center speaker if he gets one, whether to spread his L/R speakers farther apart, where he should position his measurement mic, what Audyssey MultEQ XT32 might offer him, and where to put absorption panels.
1:29:14 Ryan K. has his ceiling down. We go over viewing distance and screen size, $2,000 projector options, conduit, electrical male inlet, ceiling insulation, soundproofing, and Atmos.
– Epson 5050UB: https://is.gd/a5FMD9
– Epson 4010: https://is.gd/gxodPe
– BenQ HT3550: https://is.gd/HWo6h9
– male electrical inlet: https://is.gd/0a9qw5
1:41:35 Dan C. asks which Yamaha Receiver models let you use four overhead speakers.
1:42:30 Rob G. wants to know how loud car audio really gets, and how far away he needs to be from his neighbors if he wants to play Reference Volume at night.
1:50:04 Karl R. brings up Gene DellaSala’s & Matt Poes’ YouTube discussion about “stereo bass”, prompting an explanation and rant from us: https://youtu.be/1X_n6kG9FOcThanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!