AV Rant #659: Ignore at Your Peril
Our Listeners of the Week are our 86 Patreon Patrons, as well as Carlton B. for helping Tom and Clint with our website bandwidth issues, and Terry G. for talking us up to SVS when he bought a PC-2000 from their outlet store.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGFUKm3
Lee Overstreet is our guest co-host this week.
In the news:
– Via Nick B. & Karl R. – Dolby has withdrawn their upmixer restriction: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dolby-widthdraws-from-restricting-non-native-upmixing-a-win-for-consumers
– Via Nick B. – Ascend launched the Sierra Luna Duo speaker: https://is.gd/nazIaz
– Via Gary, Karl R. & Jay A. – Filmmaker Mode is coming to UHD Alliance TVs: https://is.gd/AAFL3Z
OLED TV news:
– LG Display’s OLED factory in China is complete: https://is.gd/GFY3rQ– Vizio set to launch OLED in 2020: https://is.gd/wnggmj– Samsung factories transitioning from LCD to QD-OLED in South Korea: https://is.gd/WULGcY
– David F. refuses to get an Apple TV 4K, so he shares his HTPC upgrades.
– 0:27:48 Adam P. shares photos of his theater where we said to fix most of his issues by installing a smaller screen.
0:30:04 Andrew L. asks about Atmos vs. DTS:X, why a demo he heard sounded different depending on the codec, and why Surround speakers in theaters are mounted so much higher than at home.
0:40:48 Damien D. gets Receiver and speaker suggestions for his huge, open Living Room, and subwoofer speaker, and drop-tile ceiling advice for his basement. We also discuss MTM speaker design.
– Yamaha RX-V685: https://is.gd/2kshXj
– Yamaha RX-A880: https://is.gd/r8P5tD
– US Audio Mart: https://www.usaudiomart.com/
– AudiogoN: https://www.audiogon.com/
– HSU HC-1 MK2: http://hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
– Ascend CMT-340SE: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
– RBH R-515E: https://rbhsound.com/r515e.php
– RBH Suspended Ceiling Bracket: https://rbhsound.com/mtb65.php
– RBH Back Can: https://rbhsound.com/bc6r.php
– RBH shallow Back Can: https://rbhsound.com/bc6rs.php
1:08:07 Marty S. gets our take on Ohm Walsh speakers, “live end, dead end” room treatment, and tube amplifiers.
1:20:00 Jason H. requests inexpensive acoustically transparent screen options.
– SeymourAV DIY material: http://www.seymourav.com/screensDIY.asp– Silver Ticket: https://is.gd/UcmPBj
– Elite Screen AcousticPro UHD: https://is.gd/xWatT6
– Screen Science by AVS: https://avscience.com/screen-science-by-avs/
1:23:21 Paul T. has placement and aesthetic restrictions. We discuss expanding to four overhead speakers, and the best way to optimize his dual subs.
– PSB Imagine XA: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/imagine/Imagine-XA
– SVS Prime Elevation: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation
– Multi-Sub Optimizer Software: https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html
– 12 Step Guide to Setting up Dual Subwoofers: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
1:32:42 Eddie asks if he should buy a Marantz SR8012 or an Arcam AVR850.- miniDSP 8-channel Dirac: https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a
1:37:25 bncphd asks if we agree with KEF’s method of calculating proper TV height.
– Viewing Distance Calculator: https://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
– Riser Height Calculator: http://www.diymovierooms.com/Content/RiserHeight
1:41:47 Infinite Gary gets Lee’s advice regarding archiving recordings off an SD DVR.
– Lee’s episode (AV Rant #623: Converting Analogue Videotapes to Digital): http://www.avrant.com/vhs/
– Diamond VC500: https://is.gd/SjqQFR
1:47:06 Dan C. needs a slim Center speaker.
– JBL Stage A135C: https://is.gd/9D4vbW
1:49:29 Zach R. gets suggestions for reasonably-priced 75-inch TVs.
– Sony XBR-75X940E: https://is.gd/HfaOyD
– TCL 75R615: https://is.gd/qAQnYY
– Vizio P75-F1: https://is.gd/19nK70
– Vizio P75-G1: https://is.gd/5ViLX9
– Vizio PX75-G1: https://is.gd/6hLeC0
– Sony XBR-75X900F: https://is.gd/zxQK0Y