AV Rant #655: Better Off with Paradigms
Our Listeners of the Week are our 84 Patreon Patrons, including DJ and Brandon, and Terry G. for talking us up to Accessories4Less when he bought a KEF HTF8003 from them.
0:01:07 Tom welcomes a new pet to his family!
Pictures shown in this episode:https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFS6Pbh
In the news:
– Jeremy Kipnis, creator of the Kipnis Studio Standard, and a Guinness World Record holder for his $6 million home theater, passed away: http://jeremykipnis.com/Jeremy_Kipnis_-_Home_Page.html
– Via Nick B. – Ascend launched their Sierra-2 EX speakers with an upgraded woofer: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2EX/srm2ex.html
– Karl R. shared a Home Theater Review article talking about the dearth of Twitch App support: https://hometheaterreview.com/why-all-av-enthusiasts-should-be-upset-about-roku-losing-twitch/
0:17:07 Ian E. shares updates about using a motorized screen with motorized side masking to make a pseudo-4-way masking system. Then he asks how consistent and precise Epson lens memories are, and whether the 6040UB’s lens iris is a big deal.
0:26:46 Andrew L. wants to know if he should upgrade his AV Receiver, and we say to wait.
– Denon X3600H: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx3600h
0:36:13 Cory W. asks if he should get something other than his Carl’s Place ALR screen now that he has a light controlled room.
– Carl’s Place ALR screens: https://www.carlofet.com/uncontrolled-light-screen-material-comparison
– Silver Ticket White screens: https://silverticketproducts.com/collections/fixed-projection-screens/style_matte-white
0:40:10 Josimar C. has a Receiver with speaker wire outputs for the subwoofer, and he wants to know if he’s missing out by not having an RCA pre-out.
0:45:20 Just J asks if he can electrically isolate his TV by using a fiber optic HDMI cable. They all have some copper, so we suggest HDBaseT with protection instead.
– Ethernet Lightning Suppressor: https://www.amazon.com/Tupavco-Ethernet-Protector-Gigabit-1000Mbs/dp/B00805VUD8
– SurgeX: https://www.ametekesp.com/surgex
0:50:02 Infinite Gary wonders if an installer’s description of what Audyssey does is accurate.
0:52:21 Brandon N. wants to know if Denon & Marantz’ new Zone 2 downmixing also applies to HEOS and older models.
0:55:36 Joel N. found a deal on Paradigm Reference Studio speakers that he knows he loves, but he wants to know if Paradigm’s newest designs are way better.
1:04:20 Justin B. requests our take on IKEA ODDLAUG sound absorption panels: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00427366/
1:06:51 Rob G. wants to know the pros and cons of downward-firing vs. front-firing subwoofers.
1:11:05 John P. loves his home theater, but he wants to know if after market power cables, power conditioning, or separates could improve it further.
1:21:04 Nick B. requests our opinions of the newly reborn KLH Audio speakers: https://klhaudio.com/
1:27:01 Mike S. has us go over the recommendations sent to him by GiK Acoustics. And we discuss what to do when the “Off” command doesn’t work on a Harmony remote.
1:43:49 Wayne A. has us reiterate the numbers when it comes to figuring out how much amplifier power you really need.
1:53:59 Robert G. is concerned about using ribbon tweeters in a dusty environment.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!