AV Rant #654: How do you feel about lamps?
Our Listeners of the Week are Stefan, Brandon, Brian, and Tim for their donations; our 83 Patreon Patrons; Andy A. for mentioning us to GiK Acoustics; and, Thomas T. for talking us up to Gary Yacoubian and the SVS team at a live event.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFCLMGG
In the news:
– The Orville becomes a Hulu exclusive: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-orville-will-move-to-hulu-for-its-third-season-1836420293
– Marvel’s Phase 4 plans: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-marvel-studios-comic-con-2019-hall-h-panel-liveblog-1836393911
– Several new Star Trek shows only on CBS All Access: https://io9.gizmodo.com/there-was-almost-too-much-news-at-the-star-trek-comic-c-1836392106
– 0:15:22 IKEA SYMFONISK are Sonos speakers at lower prices: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/symfonisk-by-sonos-and-ikea
0:17:40 Rusty R. needs new subs for an unusually wide room, and we also say where to put his Surround speakers.
– Power Sound Audio V1510: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1510
0:28:45 Stefan B. gets an explanation of what separates are all about.
0:37:26 Infinite Gary wants to know how ATSC 3.0 broadcasts and tuners will work with the new Dolby AC-4 audio format.
– Dolby’s AC-4 page: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/AC-4.html
– Dolby AC-4 white paper (page 24 for how it will work with current AV Receivers): https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/ac-4/Next-Generation-Entertainment-Services.pdf
0:44:43 Brandon N. asks, if an Outlaw Model 5000 amp is all he needs, would a Monoprice Monolith be even better? And is there any benefit to using six overhead Atmos speakers?
0:53:15 Brandon G. asks what maxCLL and maxFALL mean, and how they affect display tone mapping. Then he asks if he should replace his Xbox One X with a Panasonic UB820 for Ultra HD Blu-ray disc playback.
– HDTVTest (HDR Game Analysis videos mention maxCLL/maxFALL a lot): https://www.youtube.com/user/hdtvtest/playlists
0:58:00 Jon Z. is getting headaches after switching from Energy Reference Connoisseur speakers to MK Sound.
1:02:05 Anthony B. gets clarification about room dimensions, screen size, Atmos configuration, and Receiver choice. And we recommend on-wall speakers, subs, and a projector.
– Power Sound Audio speakers: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers
– Klipsch in-ceiling speakers: https://www.klipsch.com/ceiling-speakers
– RBH Signature SV on-walls: https://rbhsound.com/on-wall_sig.php
– RBH Visage VM-615 in-ceiling: https://rbhsound.com/vm615.php
– Power Sound Audio V1510DF: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1510DF
– JVC NX5 or NX7: http://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/procision/
1:20:33 Jay A. wants three inconspicuous front speakers for his mom’s TV setup.
– KEF HTF8003: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefhtf8003/kef-htf8003-home-theater-sound-bar/1.html
– Sony HT-Z9F SoundBar: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-3-1ch-Wireless-Subwoofer-HT-Z9F/dp/B0793HNSQG/
1:25:02 Graham C. wants to know why “matching” Center speakers don’t have identical measurements to their bookshelf counterparts.
1:27:19 Monty N. has a new house with a whole-house audio system that takes a speaker wire input. We discuss using Zone 2 or just two separate Receivers, controlling them with a Harmony remote, and controlling his music collection from his phone.
1:34:21 Michael R. can’t get his 4K Bell TV box to send video through his new Onkyo TX-NR686 to his 1080p TV. And we describe how to adjust the manual EQ and tone controls.
– Blackbird HDCP converter: https://www.primecables.ca/p-356084-cab-15242-blackbird-4k-pro-hdcp-converter-22-to-14
1:38:38 Jonathan R. wants resources to learn more about acoustics.
– Sound Reproduction by Floyd Toole: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers-Engineering/dp/113892136X/
– Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Handbook-Acoustics-Sixth-Everest/dp/0071841040/
– Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason: https://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580338/
– GiK Acoustics articles: https://www.gikacoustics.com/articles/
– Soundproofing Company’s Soundproofing 101: https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101
1:42:18 Andy A. wants to improve dialogue intelligibility, so we go over acoustic panel placements.
1:45:28 Jim B. questions KEF’s “How to Get the Most Out of Your Subwoofer” rules: https://www.shop.us.kef.com/blog/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-subwoofer-phase-and-positioning/Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief! Download Tom's NEWEST book, Touch of Pain from Amazon now!