AV Rant #652: Your OBS Lips
SPECIAL NOTICE: If you have home automation questions, we’ll be talking with DIY home automation expert Richard Gunther from Home: On Podcast July 24, so send them in!
Our Listeners of the Week are our 82 Patreon Patrons, including Brandon W. Brandon also let Accessories4Less know he heard about them from us when he bought some HEOS products.
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Hisense launched their dual-layer ULED XD LCD TV in China: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1562668129
– Hulu has 4K, but only on two devices: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/07/12/hulu-brings-4k-streaming-to-apple-tv-4k-and-chromecast-ultra
– Disney shuts down FX+: https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/14/disney-fx-plus-shutdown/
– Nintendo announced the Switch Lite: https://www.wired.com/story/nintendo-switch-lite-buying-advice/
– 0:13:48 Dave shared a Spotify playlist of sweeps and test tones: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1WrGMRWHp8Ctx00D3Ip7Sr?si=3laiG9k-RGq0r0vIOhatmg
0:15:08 Chad B. wants to add additional wireless Zone speakers to his Denon X6400H.
– HEOS: https://usa.denon.com/us/heos
0:19:29 David F. doesn’t want an Apple TV 4K, but the alternatives all have shortcomings.
– PowerDVD system requirements: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html?scrollTo=tab_part_zone
0:31:23 Brandon N. asks about SVS PC-4000 vs. PC13-Ultra subs, what timbre really means, and why speakers sound different even if they measure similarly, and whether an external amplifier would help him.
– Outlaw Model 5000: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
0:46:35 Kris B. gets our take on why his 40-foot HDMI cable isn’t working, and why his JVC NX7 isn’t filling his screen the same way his Epson 6040UB used to.
– Monoprice DynamicView: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14131
– BlueJeans Series-3A: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm
0:56:53 Mike S. asks about isolation feet, acoustic panels, subwoofer and speaker placement, and adding external amps.
1:11:08 Dan C. wants battery backup.
– APC J25B: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014005-REG/apc_j25b_av_j_type_1_5kva_power.html?sts=pi&pim=Y
– APC Back-UPS BE850: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1287964-REG/apc_back_ups_be850m2_power_supply.html?sts=pi&pim=Y
1:14:40 Infinite Gary asks which is the correct gamma setting, why – after having them all professionally calibrated – all of his displays don’t look identical, why GUI overlays don’t show up over Dolby Vision content, and for correct HDR settings in his Oppo 203.
1:23:21 Stefan B. gets clarification about upgrading to four subwoofers, and suggestions for ambient light rejecting screens.
– EluneVision Aurora: https://elunevision.com/screens/aurora-ambient-light-rejection/alr-nanoedge/
– Elite Screens Cinegrey 3D: https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/285
1:29:03 Sushmit has us go through his Room EQ Wizard measurements to determine what his side wall absorption is doing, and whether he should exchange them for bass traps.
1:42:04 Ryan T. asks if he should change his speaker plans from Ascend to JBL, and where he should position his two subs.
1:47:06 Brandon W. asks if he should get a balanced or unbalanced miniDSP, and which subs he could add to his system given his room size and placement restrictions.
– miniDSP 2×4: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2×4
– Power Sound Audio V1510DF: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1510DF