AV Rant #651: At Least Three Subs
If you have home automation questions, we’ll be talking with DIY home automation expert Richard Gunther from Home:On July 24, so send them in!
Our Listeners of the Week are Johann, Nick, and Chad for their donations, our 82 Patreon Patrons, including James C., and James C. also sent us Amazon gift cards for his “trifecta” of support.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEWX4kA
In the news:
– Via Jay and Karl – Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark test disc for $40: http://spearsandmunsil.com/dealers/
– LG 65″ R9 rollable OLED (let’s call it “Roll-LED”!) costs $60,000: https://www.bollostore.com/lg-oled-r9 ; https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/lg-oled65r9pua/
– Sony UBP-X1100ES flagship Ultra HD Blu-ray player fails to impress: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1562314449
– KEF LS50 on sale: https://www.kefdirect.com/specials/kef-specials/ls50-black-edition.html
– 0:11:38 Jonathan explains the name he gave his home theater, The Seaden, reacts to our advice, and confirms he only needs to buy one more sub.
-0:13:49 John B. shares pics of the projection setup we inspired him to install.
0:18:07 Adam G. asks if his SVS PB-1000 is “underpowered” for his open room, and whether he should add two more height speakers.
0:29:48 Josh L. has had lightning strikes kill two AV Receivers, but nothing else. He thinks his Cable TV coax might be the culprit.
– Coax surge protector: https://www.amazon.com/TII-Broadband-Satellite-Lightning-Protector/dp/B0016AIYU6/
– SurgeX: https://www.ametekesp.com/contact/contactus
0:37:18 Stefan B. asks about the Epson 6050UB vs. 5050UB, and whether to add a pair of SVS SB-3000 or HSU ULS-15 MK2 to his existing pair of SB-2000 subwoofers.
0:43:30 Nathan W. doesn’t want us to dismiss the Bose sunglasses if they use bone conduction…but they don’t.
0:46:07 Jainan S. has a new media room. We discuss: paint, blackout curtains, seating, risers, projector and screen, wiring, remote control, Atmos, acoustic panels, and subs.
– Sherwin-Williams Gray Screen paint: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7071-gray-screen#/7071/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0
– Harmony Companion: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-companion?crid=60
– Blue Jeans Series-3A Active HDMI: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm
– GiK Acoustics: https://www.gikacoustics.com/
1:12:13 Bastian B. wants a projector in his bedroom.
– Epson TW6700: https://www.epson.de/en/products/projectors/home-cinema/eh-tw6700
1:17:25 Nick A. wants to know what differentiates the Marantz SR6013, SR7013, and Denon X4500H Receivers.
1:20:21 Dave wants a GPU suggestion for use with Plex.
1:22:14 Blake C. gets our simple solution for time aligning one wireless sub and one wired sub.
1:27:26 Karl R. has us weigh in on the NINM Lab “IT’S OK” Bluetooth cassette player.
– IT’S OK: http://www.ninmlab.com/kickstarter/
– Monoprice April Fools: https://www.avsforum.com/monoprice-introduces-monolith-cassette-series-products/
1:29:23 Nick B. prompts us to further discuss why three subwoofers can be better than “only” two.
– Multi-Sub Optimizer Software: https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html
1:40:58 Infinite Gary asks about moiré patterns, and if there’s a way to watch the 8K scans of archived movies.
1:46:23 Mike V. wants Atmos, and to share any source from any room without being limited to 2-channels. Yamaha MusicCast to the rescue!
– Yamaha RX-A3080: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3080bl/yamaha-rx-a3080-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
– Yamaha MusicCast products: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/musiccast/index.html
1:49:48 Marty S. asks about the low end roll-off shown in the Audyssey Editor App, why his Emotiva BasX A-700 makes his speakers “pop”, and how phase knob adjustment is different from delay or distance settings.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!