AV Rant #650: Quoting Tom
Our Listeners of the Week are Joshua and Stefan for their donations, as well as our 82 Patreon Patrons.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEFq678
In the news:
– Jony Ive is leaving Apple: https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/27/jony-ive-lovefrom/
– DisplayPort 2.0 offers up to 77.4 Gbps: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1561624113
– Roger B. Hassing retires as Todd A. Stewart takes over RBH Sound: https://www.audioholics.com/news/rbh-sound-purchase-company-president
– Rob H. posted his LG B7 OLED picture settings: http://www.avrant.com/rob-hs-lg-oled-tv-settings/
– Infinite Gary says Norwegian film, The Quake, has bass like nothing else: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/the-quake-blu-ray-review.4294/
0:15:49 Brian M. is happy with our advice, so he asks which speakers to buy, and whether he needs a Receiver upgrade after adding a miniDSP.
– Rob H.’s 12 Step Guide to Setting Up Dual Subwoofers: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
– Ascend CMT-340SE: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
0:26:19 Rob upgraded his sub, and now he wants to know if three subs would be better than two.
– Multi-Sub Optimizer Software: https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html
– miniDSP 2×4: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2×4
– Cross-Spectrum Labs calibrated UMIK-1: http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html
0:30:40 Jeff N. has lots of glass and an echo. We discuss room treatments, and whether subwoofers have different tones.
– GiK Acoustics free advice: https://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/
– GiK freestanding panels: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/freestand-acoustic-panel-gobo/
0:43:26 Carlton B. asks about inexpensive ways to make a 7.2.6 Atmos configuration, and how to down-convert surround sound signals to 2-channel for a 2nd Zone.
0:50:29 Alex R. heard a big difference when he bi-amp’d his speakers, and he wants to know how and why.
0:58:38 Mark R. wants to know where to set the gain knobs on his external amplifier.
1:00:41 Chris K. is converting a garage. We go over layout, acoustic treatments, projector vs. flat panel, and speaker and subwoofer choices.
– Outlaw Ultra X-12: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html
– HSU VTF-2 MK5: http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html
– Boston SoundWare 4.5: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bossoundwareblka/boston-acoustics-soundware-4.5-speaker-atmos-dts-x-on-wall-speaker-black-each/1.html
1:14:23 Jim M. is helping a friend with an existing setup find a way to add Surround speakers wirelessly.
– Amphony Model 1800: https://www.amphony.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=51
1:20:56 Jonathan made a sports lounge and named it The Seaden. He wants to improve the bass, so we talk about adding doors, acoustic treatments, and a 2nd cylinder sub.
– SVS PC-2000: https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000
1:28:40 Adam M. wants aesthetically pleasing, slim speakers for his huge, open space. We suggest moving his seating to help.
– JBL Stage Series: https://www.jbl.com/stage-loudspeaker-series/
– JBL in-walls: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MFQA0C/
– KEF HTF8003: https://us.kef.com/htf8003-soundbar-speaker.html
– KEF T301: https://us.kef.com/speakers/home-theater/t-series/t301-ultrathin-speaker-pair.html
1:38:49 Michael R. is visually impaired, and he’s tested the current AV Receiver control apps, and found Onkyo’s to be the most accessible. He’d like to save money by finding B-stock in Canada.
– Onkyo TX-NR686 B-Stock from Gibby’s: https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/onkyo-tx-nr686-7-2-channel-network-a-v-receiver-b-stock/
– TX-NR787 B-Stock: https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/onkyo-tx-nr787-b-stock/
1:44:11 Infinite Gary wants to know why HDMI-CEC powers both his TV and Receiver on and off using his TV remote, but only powers both on, not off, using his Receiver’s remote.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief! Download Tom's NEWEST book, Touch of Pain from Amazon now!