AV Rant #649: Samsung TV’s for Gaming
Our Listeners of the Week are Jonathan R. for his donation, our 82 Patreon Patrons, including Rob and Carlton, and Anthony B. for telling Accessories4Less that his Focal Chorus 706 speaker purchase was our recommendation, and Mark R. for letting SVS know his dual PC-2000 subwoofer purchase was thanks to us.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEvDNPB
In the news:
– via Karl R. – NASA and Lockheed Martin’s supersonic X-59 jet uses a 4K screen instead of a window: https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/19/nasas-x-59-supersonic-jet-will-have-a-4k-tv-instead-of-a-forward-window/
– Digital Trends’ guide for limiting your Netflix data usage: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-much-data-does-netflix-use/
– Toshiba TVs with Amazon Fire TV built-in support Dolby Vision but not HDR10+: https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-debuts-toshiba-fire-tv-edition-television-with-dolby-vision-hdr/
– Rob K. achieved good results applying our speaker positioning advice.
0:12:33 David F. asks if there’s a better deal than a refurbished Epson 5040UB projector, where’s the best place to mount it, and can he watch Netflix in 4K on it with its limited 10.2 Gbps HDMI bandwidth.
0:22:25 FOMO Josh asks what he should listen for after running Audyssey, why the built-in Netflix app in his Sony TV looks so dark, which external device provides maximum audio & video quality, and how iTunes movies compare to discs.
– Apple TV 4K: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/
0:30:20 Anthony B. can pick the dimensions of his theater, so we weigh in on numbers, and discuss building in a seating riser.
0:38:45 Stephen W. wants an explanation of why we say to send multiple subwoofers a single, mono signal.
– 12 Step Guide to Setting Up Dual Subwoofers: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
0:46:20 Karl R. requests our reactions to comments made by Scott Wilkinson about the Value Electronics TV Shootout, HDMI cables, 8K, and ScreenX: https://www.screenx.co.kr/
1:02:59 Infinite Gary wonders if we will make an effort to evaluate 8K TVs, and what we’ll watch on them, plus some thoughts on LG’s upcoming 48″ OLEDs.
1:06:30 Brian B. asks about getting less expensive Surround and Atmos speakers, what Receiver and subwoofers to get, if a Samsung Q8/Q80 is the right TV for him, putting his gear in a back closet, and drywall vs. drop tile ceilings.
– Denon X4400H: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4400h/denon-avr-x4400h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
– Outlaw Model 5000 amp: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
– Power Sound Audio V1510DF: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1510DF
– Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR Fiber Optic HDMI Cable with Detachable Connectors: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33280
1:31:14 Matt G. has Amazon credit and wants to know if he should spend it on a Receiver or a subwoofer.
1:33:56 Mike S. wants 5.1 plus Zone 2, up-to-date HDMI, and HEOS.
– Denon X2400H: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2400h/denon-avr-x2400h-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
1:35:44 Josh F. wants to upgrade something. We discuss acoustic treatments, a second sub, a bigger TV, new Front speakers, a 9-ch Receiver, and placement concerns.
1:43:19 PJ wants Tom’s speaker recommendation, but he just echoes what Rob said before.
– HSU horn-loaded speakers: http://hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html