AV Rant #648: Should You Calibrate Your TV?
Our Listeners of the Week are David and Stephen for their donations, as well as our 82 Patreon Patrons.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEm9hnr
In the news:
– Samsung’s The Wall Luxury will be available to consumers in July: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1560408136
– Value Electronics TV Shootout crowned Sony’s A9G OLED “King of TV”: https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/hdd-attends-2019-value-electronics-tv-shootout/44293
– Dan suggests Tablo as an OTA DVR option (including in Canada): https://ca-store.tablotv.com/collections/frontpage
0:09:41 Johnny want to recommend a Receiver to a friend that can do four Atmos speakers for the lowest price with a low price 2-ch amp, and on-ceiling speakers.
– Marantz SR6010: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6010/marantz-sr6010-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
– Onkyo TX-NR787: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr787/onkyo-tx-nr787-9.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-a/v-receiver/1.html
– Onkyo TX-RZ630: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz630/onkyo-tx-rz630-9.2-ch-x-90-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
– Onkyo TX-RZ730: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz730/onkyo-tx-rz730-9.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-a/v-receiver/1.html
– Onkyo TX-RZ830: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz830a/onkyo-tx-rz830-9.2-ch-x-120-watts-thx-a/v-receiver-new/1.html
– Dayton APA102BT amp: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa102bt-class-d-stereo-60-wpc-bluetooth-amplifier–300-593
– AudioSource AMP100: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-AMP100VS-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00ZSEFU94/
– Boston SoundWare 4.5: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bossoundwareblka/boston-acoustics-soundware-4.5-speaker-atmos-dts-x-on-wall-speaker-black-each/1.html
– NHT SuperZero: https://www.nhthifi.com/products/10654-superzero-2-1-our-amazing-mini-monitor
0:17:03 Thomas W. asks if the amplifier quality of the Marantz SR8012 makes its price worthwhile when he won’t be using many of its features.
– Denon AVR-X3400H: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3400h/denon-avr-x3400h-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
0:23:27 Rob W. gets our input on where to mount his Surround speakers and how to aim them.- Side-clamping speaker wall
0:28:37 Bobby M. is looking for smaller alternatives to SVS PB-1000 subwoofers, and top choices for 65″ $700 and $1,000 TVs.
– Monoprice Monolith Sealed 10″ THX Sub: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35143
– HSU VTF-1 MK3: http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html
– TCL 65R617: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NJMFL8
– Vizio P65-F1: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-led-p-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6213228.p?skuId=6213228
0:36:22 Damien D. wants bang-for-buck projector suggestions, refurb sites, a screen, a mount, and to know if a painted screen is a good idea.
– BenQ HT2050A: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-HT2050A-Theater-Projector-Keystone/dp/B077TG22H3/
– BenQ HT3550: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-HT3550-Theater-Projector-Accurate/dp/B07MTY97T2/
– Epson HC4010: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-4010-Projector/dp/B07GYP68HW/
– Epson HC5050UB: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-5050UB-Projector/dp/B07P7Y3D6G/
– BenQ Direct: https://www.benqdirect.com/benq-outlet/refurbished-projectors.html
– Epson Clearance: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/c/cc301
– Silver Ticket Screens: https://silverticketproducts.com/collections/fixed-projection-screens/products/str-169110
– Peerless Mount: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910382-REG/peerless_industries_prgs_unv_prgs_series_projector.html/reviews
0:47:42 Anthony B. makes sure dual PB-1000 are enough for his room, and we suggest speakers to match his Center.
– Focal Chorus 706: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalchorus706blk/focal-chorus-706-6.5-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-black-ash-pair/1.html
0:50:19 Ilango wants settings for a TCL 6-Series TV.
– CNET: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/tcl-65r617-basic-picture-settings-and-notes/
– RTings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018/settings
0:55:52 Don S. wants to simplify by selling his external amps and getting a new Receiver.
– Denon X3400H: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3400h/denon-avr-x3400h-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
1:03:21 Matt G. is trying to figure out what type of Atmos speakers to install, and exactly where to put them.
– SVS Prime Elevation: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation
– Aperion Intimus in-ceiling: https://www.aperionaudio.com/collections/in-wall-in-ceiling-speakers/products/aperion-6-5-in-ceiling-speaker-pair
1:06:29 Nick A. wants LG C8 OLED TV settings.
– RTings: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8-oled/settings
– Rob’s B7 settings: http://www.avrant.com/rob-hs-lg-oled-tv-settings/
1:11:22 Shannon H. asks if the Viewsonic LS700-4K Laser DLP projector can top his Epson 6030UB, and why sound still plays when he powers off his Emotiva amps.
1:19:23 Shane P. asks if his Marantz SR5013 was a good choice, whether he should move his Surround Back speakers or run them in series with his Surrounds, and which DIY absorption panels to build.-
Tom’s DIY absorbers: https://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/diy-absorbers-for-the-less-than-handy-man-part-1
– Part 2: https://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/diy-absorbers-for-the-less-than-handy-man-part-2
– Rob W’s movie poster absorbers: http://www.avrant.com/listener-advice-rob-w-on-movie-poster-absorption-panels/
– GiK DIY supplies: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/diy-acoustic-panel-bass-traps-supplies/
1:28:20 Anthony B. wants to know where to set the master volume dial when adjusting speaker levels.
1:32:10 Robin K. wants cherry finish speakers. He tried Polk, but wants other options. And we further discuss subwoofers for his open room.
– HSU HC-1: http://hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
– PSB Imagine: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/imagine
– Aperion Verus Grand: https://www.aperionaudio.com/collections/verus-speakers