AV Rant #647: IMAX Enhanced is DEAD!
Our Listeners of the Week are Shannon, as well as our 82 Patreon Patrons, and Jason G. for talking us up to SVS when he bought a Prime Wireless SoundBase and an SB-1000 subwoofer.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEbNVXS
In the news:
– Via Carl – HDHomeRun Scribe and Servio OTA DVR solutions: https://www.cordcutters.com/you-can-now-order-hdhomerun-scribe-and-servio-boxes
– Google Stadia is $10/month and you still have to buy games: https://store.google.com/us/product/stadia_founders_edition?hl=en-US
– Details about Xbox Project Scarlett from E3: https://ign.com/articles/2019/06/09/next-xbox-scarlett-specs-release-rumors-games-leaks-e3-reveal
– Josh S. shares details about installing 5G infrastructure.
– Aaron C. says his JVC rep told him no more X790 projectors are being made.
– 0:17:13 Denon’s X8500H manual paints a bleak picture of what IMAX Enhanced does to audio signals: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX8500H/NA/EN/DRDZSYyrtgycpw.php
0:20:05 Josh asks if the Panasonic UB820 is worthwhile for his Sony X900F TV, why Samsung’s flagship 4K TV costs more than Sony’s, which streaming device(s) to use, why big Center speakers are recommended, and what to use to make his own movie server.
– For actual Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on a PC
– PowerDVD Ultra: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html
– MakeMKV: http://makemkv.com/
– UHD-Friendly Drives, including sellers: https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634
– UHD FAQ: https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883
– NVidia Shield: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shop/
– Plex: https://www.plex.tv/
0:34:29 Joe K. wants to know if his Sony X800 Ultra HD Blu-ray player will be almost as good as his Oppo 203 with his JVC X550 projector.
– Early model JVC HDR projector settings: https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html
0:39:21 Robin K. gets dual subwoofer selection and setup ideas.
0:51:02 Tate L. asks what speakers he should buy to expand to 5.2.4, how to set up his Def Tech Towers with powered woofers along with external subs, and whether the LG C8 OLED is worth paying more than the B8.
0:59:35 Jason G. wonders if some people are lusting after way more subwoofer output than they will ever use.
1:02:32 Blake C. wants to know how to reduce bass leakage, what’s the difference between “pressurization” and “dB”, how to calculate how much subwoofer output you need, whether he can get more tactile feeling without hearing louder bass, and whether the SVS app can control multiple subs.
– Audioholics Bassaholic Room Size Guide: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size
– SVS app tutorial: https://youtu.be/Ct9N2QiEVvg
1:18:35 Dan D. we got in Dan’s head about having both his subs at the front of his room. We try to put him back together.
– Multi-Sub Optimizer Software: https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html
1:26:32 Carl asks if there’s a minimum room size for Atmos.
1:27:49 Mike wants confirmation about his choice of subwoofers.
– Rythmik F12: http://rythmikaudio.com/F12.html
– SVS SB-3000: https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-3000
– SVS PC-2000: https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000
1:31:06 Infinite Gary asks why different external amps can result in different volume levels.
1:31:51 Adam G. asks if a professional audio calibrator would be worthwhile.
1:34:04 Nick B. wonders if there are ideal room dimensions.
– Room Mode Calculator: https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc