AV Rant #646: 6K Displays Are Here!
Our Listeners of the Week are our 81 Patreon Patrons, including Travis, as well as Alvin for telling Accessories4Less his Onkyo TX-RZ730 Receiver purchase was thanks to our recommendation.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE1XEaW
In the news:
– Apple’s WWDC: Mac Pro, Pro Display XDR: https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/03/apple-wwdc-2019-most-important-news/
– LG’s 88″ 8K Z9 OLED costs $30K: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/06/03/lgs-8k-oled-tv-now-on-sale/
– 48″ OLEDs in 2020: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1559553128
– Sony ULTRA 4K streaming service shuts down July 26: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1559288629
– Mitch R. made his speaker upgrade choice after bringing in Ascend Sierra RAAL, RBH Signature Reference, and B&W 700 Series Towers for auditions.- Damien D. modeled Tom’s speaker placement advice FTW.
– Ilango upped his Bluetooth earphone budget, and is happy with his Shure SE215.
– Cesar deployed absorption behind his seats with great results for his Center channel.
– 0:28:26 Shane T. reminded us about the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) Genesis software update, and shares his comparison with Dirac: https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/index.php
– 0:32:53 Lee V. notes the NVidia Shield can output Amazon Prime Video in 5.1 DD+ and Atmos. And he thinks his Epson 5040UB projector automatically switches into HDR mode, so we clarify how Epson HDR projectors handle picture mode settings.
0:39:35 Jason T. asks all about speakers with powered subwoofer drivers built-in.
0:47:13 Bobby K. got a bigger room, but can’t fit the Ascend Center he had in mind.
0:51:19 Adam G. wonders if it’s worth the trouble to install Top Middles instead of Front Heights, and also asks about streaming vs. disc audio quality.
0:57:57 Jim P. wants a Canadian OTA DVR solution. We mention:
– Channel Master Stream+: https://www.channelmaster.com/OTA_DVR_s/336.htm
But more highly recommend:
– HDHomeRun DVR: https://www.silicondust.com/allinone/
– Plex DVR: https://www.plex.tv/tv/
1:02:50 Dan C. is using a slim Bose Center, and asks about an alternative:- JBL Stage A135C: https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A135C.html
1:04:21 Carlos P. gets our 3 picks each for Ultra HD Blu-ray bass demos.
– AVS Forum Favorite 4K Demos: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/2961338-favorite-4k-blu-ray-movie-chapter-demos.html
1:08:25 Travis M. asks about adding a third self-powered speaker to make a 3.0 system using his Oppo 203 as a pre-amp.
1:12:10 Chad B. asks about expanding his storage capacity for his NVidia Shield Plex Server.
1:18:56 Alvin C. wonders if his Klipsch Quintet speakers are good enough for Atmos. Then he asks about aiming Height speakers, and configuring the amps in his Onkyo TX-RZ730.
1:26:00 Michael I. wants to know if a sub’s volume knob acts as a limiter, whether Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is a big difference over XT, what the Reference Level Offset for Dynamic EQ is all about, and just how much power each amp channel in a Receiver can output.
1:42:12 Dave gets us talking about “Amazon’s Choice” products when he asks for an optical to coax converter: