AV Rant #645: DIY Diffusion and You
Our Listeners of the Week are our 82 Patreon Patrons, including Grant M., as well as Carl and Tap who both bought subs from SVS during their Memorial Day sale and let SVS know we recommended them.
Photos shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDRiRNR
In the news:- Via Karl, Tap & Kris
– Universal Music Group has partnered up with Dolby to release thousands of Dolby Atmos music mixes: https://www.universalmusic.com/dolby-atmos-music-experience-music-like-never-before/
– Fusion Research announced their $7,000 4K Genesis Movie Server: https://www.cepro.com/article/fusion_research_4k_uhd_movie_server
– Microsoft’s Project xCloud streaming gaming service can support all existing Xbox One games: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/05/24/project-xcloud-more-for-gamers-and-developers/
– Fox announced the Ultra HD Blu-ray of Alita Battle Angel will include both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1558503366
– Jim B. recommends JBL’s SP6II in-wall speakers and finding deals on: https://slickdeals.net/
0:19:29 Josh gets our TV pick, Center speaker pick, and dual sub placement pick for his setup. And Carl joins Josh in asking why Rob wants only a mono subwoofer signal.
– Sony 85″ X900F: https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x900f-series/buy/xbr85x900f
– RBH Impression Elite R-515E: https://rbhsound.com/r515e.php
0:36:31 Bobby asks about an unusual corner bass trap idea, and if he can justify more expensive subs to himself.
0:41:52 Adam G. asks if professional display calibration is really worth it.
0:45:13 Marc S. gets our suggestions on what to do with speakers that have been built into cubbies.
0:50:50 Jonathan F. asks if flat ceilings are truly necessary for upward-firing Atmos-Enabled speakers.
– Dolby Atmos HT Installation Guide: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
0:53:06 Grant M. gets our projector pick and streaming box pick, plus an explanation why his Roku Stick isn’t playing all audio formats via ARC.
1:03:35 Rob M. wants a deal on Yamaha Receivers in Canada. We say to use Amazon.ca or: https://www.2001audiovideo.com/
1:05:41 Chris M. requests information about diffusion panels.- DIY diffuser plans: https://bettersoundproofing.com/diy-sound-diffuser/
1:13:05 Jim B. gets clarification about various subwoofer input jack options.
1:15:25 Nick B. has us talk through 11-channel Receivers vs. 13 or 15-speaker options. And we recommend a calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum Labs for audio measurement: http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html
1:22:06 Karl R. asks what we think about video rental stores using crowdfunding to stay alive. We mention discs by mail still being available.- https://rent4k.com/
1:25:21 Tap T. gets our pick for a $1,000 65-inch TV that works with Google Assistant.- 2018 Vizio P-Series: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-led-p-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6213228.p?skuId=6213228
1:27:41 Tom K. wonders if smaller, less expensive subs can suffice if you always keep your volume low.
1:38:08 Infinite Gary asks how Anthem Room Correction and Dirac differ. He gets clarification about how many Watts you actually need. And we mention our disappointing gear purchases.
– Anthem ARC interview: https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/anthem-arc-room-eq-interview
– Dirac interview: https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/dirac-room-correction-interview
1:46:50 Damien D. has us discuss some more ideas for his basement.
1:56:38 David F. can get a deal on some monoblocks and wants the go-ahead.
1:59:20 Cesar thinks the addition of a Center speaker sounds clearer, but not as perfectly placed as a phantom Center. We discuss.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!