AV Rant #644: Hanging Sub
Our Listeners of the Week are Jainan, Patricio, Terry, and Thomas for their donations, also our 81 Patreon Patrons, including Ilango, as well as Dan for sending us some Amazon gift cards, Miguel for telling Parts-Express his Triplett SPL Meter purchase was thank to our recommendation, and Tom for mentioning us to AV Science when he bought his JVC RS540 projector.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDFgHoq
In the news:
– Disney now owns all of Hulu: https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-full-control-hulu-comcast-deal-1203214338/
– Many AV Rant Listeners alerted us that Sound United bought Onkyo and Pioneer: https://www.cepro.com/article/sound_united_to_pick_up_integra_onkyo_pioneer_brands
– The co-founder of Paradigm now owns 100% of Paradigm, Anthem, and Martin Logan: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/paradigm-co-founder-buys-paradigm-anthem-and-martinlogan
– The Sony X800M2 Ultra HD Blu-ray player doesn’t auto-switch Dolby Vision: https://youtu.be/aiij4UzMUi4
– Sony and Microsoft are teaming up for game streaming: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1558346908
– An iTunes bug downgraded a bunch of 4K movies to HD: https://www.techradar.com/news/itunes-bug-causing-many-users-4k-titles-to-be-downgraded-to-hd
– Carl informed us that all four of the new CalMAN Home calibration software options include full manual calibration workflows: https://store.portrait.com/consumer-software.html
0:21:16 Damien D. wants new Towers for his Family Room. And in is basement, he asks about comfortable bar stools, soundproofing without major renovation, sound absorption without carpet, and better looking cable raceways.
– RBH Impression R-55: https://rbhsound.com/r55.php
– SVS Prime Towers: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-tower
– JBL Stage Towers: https://www.jbl.com/stage-series.html
– CorLiving bar stools: https://www.amazon.com/CorLiving-DAB-909-B-Stools-Black-Leatherette/dp/B00GYPAT24
– CableOrganizer Raceways: https://www.cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/
– Sewell Ghost Wire: https://sewelldirect.com/ghost-wire-2-16-awg-2-conductor-25-ft
0:39:59 Len I. wants our take on otoacoustic headphones, like the Nuraphone headphones: https://www.nuraphone.com/products/nuraphone
0:44:33 Francis A. asks about manually adjusting subwoofer levels after auto-setup.
0:48:32 Daniel W. thinks he has some OLED burn-in, and wants to know if there’s anything he can do about it.
0:52:06 Cesar D. asks about Owens Corning insulation vs. foam wedges for acoustic treatments.
0:53:33 John V. loves his HTD Level 2 speakers and wants to know why we don’t talk about them: https://www.htd.com/Products/Speakers/Cabinet-Speakers/level-two-speakers
0:57:24 Dawain asks about a single SVS PB16-Ultra vs. dual PB-2000 subs. We’d like to know more about his room, but mention some alternative high output subwoofer options.
– Power Sound Audio V1510: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1510?variant=8239926214745
– HSU VTF-15H Mk2: http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2Dual.html– Rythmik FV15HP: http://rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html
– Monoprice Monolith ported 15″ THX: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24458
1:02:24 Jonathan F. gets our take on the Bose Frame sunglasses with Bose audio AR: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/frames.html
1:07:54 Miguel M. is considering a Denon X3400H Receiver, but wants to know if it’s really worth it.
1:12:27 Jainan S. is buying a new house, and he asks about on-wall vs. in-wall speakers for the Living Room, soundproofing for the Master Bedroom, Center speaker crossovers, and subwoofer options.
– SVS PC-2000: https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000
– SVS SB-2000: https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000
– RSL Speedwoofer 10S: https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/
1:26:54 Infinite Gary gets our take on why SVS continues to recommend putting two subs at the front of the room, and our thoughts on the Outlaw Model 2200 monoblock amp: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
1:32:46 Patricio O. asks about the inconsistencies in Dolby’s Atmos speaker placement diagrams, and where he should put his Surround speakers.
1:35:03 Tom N. needs gloss white subwoofers for his Living Room. And we discuss where to place dual SVS 2000 Series subs in his dedicated theater.- SVS gloss white specials: https://www.svsound.com/pages/white-gloss-subwoofers-speakers
1:44:37 Keith J. wants some advice about the best orientation for his basement theater, and we warn him away from some uncommon speaker upgrade ideas.
1:52:28 Chris H. asks if $100 worth of foam treatments would help with his bass issues in his small bedroom. We suggest a miniDSP instead: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2×4
1:55:57 Ilango wants some alternative recommendations for Bluetooth earphones.
– Shure SE-112: https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/earphones/se112
– RHA MA390: https://www.rha-audio.com/ca/products/headphones/ma390-universal
1:57:54 Ian E. asks about a JVC X790 vs. an Epson 5040UB projector for a 160-inch screen, but we suggest a new 5050UB instead: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-5050UB-Projector/dp/B07P7Y3D6G/Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!