AV Rant #643: Sorry, Josh
Our Listeners of the Week are our 80 Patron Patrons, including Mel, as well as Rob W. for letting SVS know his dual PB-1000 purchase was because of our recommendation, and Damien D. for mentioning us to Accessories4Less when he bought a Denon X4400H.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmyc94kb
In the news:
– Samsung rolled out the firmware that adds the Apple TV app and AirPlay 2 to their TVs: https://www.avsforum.com/samsung-launches-airplay-2-and-apple-tv-app-support/
– Via Karl R. – Hub Entertainment Research survey, “Entertainment in the Connected Home”: https://advanced-television.com/2019/05/08/study-just-half-of-4k-tv-owners-have-watched-4k-content/
0:09:52 Mark R. asks why in-ceiling Front speakers sound bad, why anyone would install them if they can’t sound good, and what he should use to mount some Surround speakers.- Side-clamping speaker wall mounts: https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Universal-Clamping-Bookshelf-Mounting/dp/B01MZE0O8U/
0:19:18 Rob W. asks: PB-1000s or SB-1000s, dedicated Center or 3rd bookshelf, whether the Elite Screens Aeon with AcousticPro UHD material is a good choice, and what wireless subwoofer kit to get.
– Dayton Wave-Link: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wave-link-wls-system-24-ghz-full-range-wireless-audio-transmitter-receiver-s–300-594
0:28:39 Adam G. wants to know if he should return his LG C8 OLED for a Sony A8F.
0:34:54 David F. asks about Emotiva amplifier options on Craigslist.
0:39:20 Infinite Gary heard convincing overhead sounds from a 5.1 soundtrack, so he asks if Atmos is truly beneficial. Then we discuss HDR nit levels, and the speaker systems that sparked our love of audio.
– Youthman’s Atmos Module experiment: https://youtu.be/7GMjnazQ81E
0:55:34 Rob M. wants to know if we agree with The Wirecutter’s picks for best projectors:- https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-projectors/
1:00:57 Jason T. heard us mention processing for headphones that creates convincing surround sound, and wants more details.
– Smyth Realiser: https://smyth-research.com/
– Out of Your Head software: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/
1:07:22 Mel A. wants to improve his home theater, so we discuss speakers, acoustic treatments, subwoofer EQ, and TV calibration.
1:21:14 Martin D. gets a comparison of the BenQ HT5550 and Epson 5050UB projectors.
1:23:26 Jon still wants in-wall speakers in his garage. We suggest marine speakers. Then we discuss speaker wire gauge, connecting two Zone 2 amplifiers, and adding an in-line volume control.
– JL Audio Marine speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136MX650CW/JL-Audio-MX650-CCX-CG-WH-White-w-Classic-grilles.html
– Monoprice Sycamore in-wall speakers: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35751
– In-line volume controls: https://is.gd/I1o3oJ
1:31:16 Dan D. has a new Paradigm Prestige setup. He asks about crossovers, DIY bass traps, and which insulation to use.
1:38:07 Carl C. asks about absorption vs. diffusion, subwoofers, and speaker options.
– RBH Impression Series speakers: https://rbhsound.com/series_impression.php
– JBL Stage Series speakers: https://www.jbl.com/stage-loudspeaker-series/
1:46:37 Josh cannot be talked back from the ledge. Now he needs an 85-inch TV, dual subs, and a Center speaker.
– Sony 85″ X900F: https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x900f-series/buy/xbr85x900f
– SVS dual PC-2000 subwoofers: https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-series-dual-subwoofers/products/dual-pc-2000
-RBH Impression Elite R-515E Center: https://rbhsound.com/r515e.php