AV Rant #642: We Got Bits on Bits, Baby!
Our Listeners of the Week are Adam for his donation, and our 80 Patreon Patrons.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmB4bTyp
In the news:
– Netflix announced high-quality audio: https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/bringing-studio-quality-sound-to-netflix
– Samsung is launching The Sero, a vertical TV: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1556546165
– David F. thinks Software Defined Radio could solve gaming controller wireless range issues.- Billy updates us on his subwoofer choice.- @GraphiKungFusion on Instagram made a custom artwork wrap for his SVS PC-2000.
0:18:26 Matt G. gets our help planning his screen size, projector mount location, Atmos configuration, and acoustic treatments.
0:32:57 Adam G. asks about the best way to position his measurement microphone, subwoofer, and Surround speakers for two couches.
0:43:37 Alvin C. gets our suggestions for RCA switches to connect several old gaming consoles, and we tell him to go with an Onkyo TX-RZ630 Atmos Receiver.
– Wirecutter pick for Analog Video to HDMI Converter: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-analog-video-converter/
– 8 in, 1 out hard button RCA switch: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-Splitter-Cable-Analog/dp/B0154QWCM8
– 4 in, 1 out RCA switch w/ remote: https://www.amazon.com/HONONJO-Selector-Splitter-Switcher-Converter/dp/B07HG29M6D/
– Onkyo TX-RZ630, refurb from Accessories4Less: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz630/onkyo-tx-rz630-9.2-ch-x-90-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
0:51:35 Johnny D. gets our go-ahead to buy a KEF Q600C to go with his Q500 Towers.
0:54:03 David F. asks which KEF R-Series Center to buy, and whether KEF E301 satellites will make for good Surrounds. We suggest amplifier options, talk about port plugs, and explain why louder playback leads to more audible detail.
– Dayton APA102 2-ch amp: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa102bt-class-d-stereo-60-wpc-bluetooth-amplifier–300-593
– Emotiva BasX A-500 5-ch amp: https://emotiva.com/products/a-500
1:05:49 Sushmit asks if there’s a way to retain detail when he lowers the volume, so we describe Audyssey Dynamic EQ and YPAO Volume.
1:08:15 Shane T. requests an explanation of the difference between delays, phase, and polarity.
1:17:10 Damien D. gets our speculation about his SPL differences before and after running AccuEQ. We discuss his speaker and subwoofer choices for his new Family Room, and what layout and speakers we think he should use in his basement.
1:33:44 Infinite Gary asks about TV longevity and planned obsolescence, what DTS:X Pro might bring to 7.2.4 Receivers, what our cost-no-object speakers and configuration would be, and just what we think “good for the money” means.
– Trinnov adds DTS:X Pro: https://www.trinnov.com/2019/01/08/trinnov-dtsxpro/
1:42:18 Josh makes us talk him off another ledge over subwoofers. And we explain how acoustic treatments have nothing to do with sound isolation.
1:49:08 Nick B. enquires about going with Philharmonic speakers instead of Ascend Sierra RAAL.
1:51:39 Ted M. wants to know all about jitter, and what he’d have to do, short of a headphone upgrade, to really improve his sound.
– Smyth Realiser: https://smyth-research.com/
– Out of Your Head software: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/