AV Rant #641: AV Common Knowledge
Our Listeners of the Week are our 79 Patreon Patrons, as well as Johnny D. who talked us up to RBH and Accessories4Less when he bought EP-SB earphones and a Denon X3400H, and Martin D. who’s also a fan of The Expanse and let Tom know season 4 is coming this summer on Amazon Prime Video.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmD6udf3
In the news:
– JBL has released their Stage Series of entry-level speakers: https://www.jbl.com/stage-series.html
– Aperion Audio announced their mid-tier NOVUS Series speakers: https://www.aperionaudio.com/pages/novus
– Jeremy Porter from Porter Edwards | Austin HiFi shared a sneak peak of their first speaker: https://www.porteredwards.com/
– Graham C. let us know about Gizmodo’s take on last weekend’s Game of Thrones episode looking too dark: https://gizmodo.com/a-theory-about-why-last-nights-game-of-thrones-was-too-1834379081
0:28:30 David F. asks if the RBH Signature speakers are so good that he should cost himself extra money to audition them.
0:34:30 Greg P. wants to know how far off the ground a Center speaker needs to be.
0:38:22 Josh has friends telling him he must use Tower Front speakers. We discuss why that isn’t true, but why Tower speakers do still make sense in some setups.
– Harman white papers on subwoofers: https://www.harman.com/innovation-category/whitepapers
1:01:16 Nick A. has a malfunctioning subwoofer that we struggle to diagnose. As a potential replacement, we suggest the SVS SB-2000.
– Nick’s noisy subwoofer: https://youtu.be/AJtnExDJCiA
– SVS SB-2000 from Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SVS-SB2000-Subwoofer-Black-Ash/dp/B00IE5MOUM/
1:06:23 Nathan W. wants to put a projector in his RV, and the BenQ HT2150ST is about the only option we think fits his needs.
– BenQ HT2150ST: https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/cinehome-home-cinema/ht2150st.html
1:11:37 Johnny D. and a couple of friends want to buy a color meter to share for projector calibrations, so we recommend a meter and software, as well as Projector Reviews picture settings for his Epson 5040UB.
– Projector Reviews Epson 5040UB/6040UB settings: https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-calibration-settings/#new-home-cinema-5040ub-pro-cinema-6040ub-calibration-settings
– X-rite i1 Display Pro: https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/i1display-pro
– How to use HCFR software: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1636306-certainly-not-complete-user-guide-get-know-calibrate-your-tv.html
– CalMAN: https://store.portrait.com/
1:19:50 Shane P. used SVS’ Subwoofer Matching Tool, which led to confusion, so for his room size and budget, we narrow things down to two options for him.
– Dual PB-1000: https://www.svsound.com/collections/1000-series-dual-subwoofers/products/dual-pb-1000
– One SB-2000 for now (a 2nd later): https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000
1:25:40 Rob W. asks about using three identical Front speakers, any alternatives to RSL’s CG23 5.1 speaker package, the importance of 20 Hz, and how a $1,500 projector might compare to his 75-inch QLED.
– RSL CG23 5.1 package: https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg23-5-1-home-theater-system/
– SVS PB-1000 subwoofer: https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000
– RBH Impression speakers: https://rbhsound.com/series_impression.php– Ascend HTM
– BenQ HT3550: https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/cineprime-home-cinema/ht3550.html
1:41:45 Infinite Gary wants to know if Micro-LED displays will have advantages over OLED, and questions why in-wall speakers can’t go in a garage.
1:48:19 Tap T. might have to shrink his home theater budget, so we discuss false wall plans, and what to do if he can’t afford dual SVS PC-2000 subwoofers right away.
1:52:07 Jonathan F. is seeing “patchy” areas, both dark and light, on his 2015 Vizio M-Series TV. We take a guess as to why, and discuss screen size and HVAC, as well.
2:02:48 Nathan D. asks if there’s any way to send a digital source to the Zone 2 output of his Denon 1910 Receiver.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!