AV Rant #640: Pentacle Of Advice
Our Listeners of the Week are Jacob for his donation, our 80 Patreon Patrons, including Jeremy, as well as Monty for talking us up to Accessories4Less, Ascend, and SVS, and Christian L. for offering his audio editing expertise.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxBRE8Q
In the news:
– details about the PlayStation 5: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/
– Logitech launches the Harmony Express remote, Hub, and app: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-express?crid=60; https://www.cnet.com/news/logitech-harmony-express-builds-in-alexa-to-simplify-tv-systems-for-250/
– Amazon and Google will finally allow Prime Video and YouTube on each other’s devices: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1555647579
– Netflix beta tests a shuffle mode: https://gizmodo.com/netflix-is-testing-a-feature-to-serve-up-random-episode-1834182934
– Karl shared AVS Forum’s IMAX Enhanced Guide: https://www.avsforum.com/imax-product-guide/
– Joseph used a Dymo Rhino 5200 label maker to print speaker labels on heat shrink tubing: http://www.dymo.com/en-US/rhino-industrial-5200-label-maker
– Jay Edward, welcome to our current episodes if you’ve caught up!
0:26:36 Infinite Gary asks about: relative screen area sizes for 4:3 vs 16:9 aspect ratios, our thoughts on Sony’s 16K Crystal LED display, and Sony’s Triluminos branding as it relates to quantum dots.- Sony 16K Crystal LED: https://www.avforums.com/news/sony-unveils-largest-16k-screen.16044
0:38:51 Karl R. gets our thoughts on Red Carpet Home Cinema: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/business/media/movie-rentals-red-carpet-home-cinema.html
0:43:58 Mike S. asks what the ideal Center is for the SVS Prime Pinnacle Towers: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-pinnacle
0:48:48 Billy ignored Best Buy’s advice and took ours instead, and now he asks about a subwoofer upgrade.
0:57:10 Christian S. loves his OLED, but wants to know what he should tell his friends regarding burn-in.
1:04:27 Jon wants in-wall speakers in his garage, but we strongly recommend opting for all-weather on-walls instead. And we explain why there’s no easy way to extend the wireless range of Xbox One controllers.- Yamaha NS-AW592 all-weather speakers: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-aw592/index.html
1:13:32 Brian M. wants a sound upgrade in his Great Room. We discuss his current speakers, acoustic treatments, seat placement, subwoofer placement, and give a thumbs up to the ELAC Uni-Fi speakers he’s considering.
1:32:25 Chris H. asks about the results he’s hearing after running Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and whether he should spend the $20 to get the Audyssey Editor App.
1:41:57 Monty N. urges everyone to make sure they have adequate home owner’s insurance after his house burned down in the California wildfires. For his new place, he asks: about a TV mount that can extend in front of a built-in entertainment cabinet, what he should do about bookshelf speakers in an actual bookshelf, which wireless subwoofer kit we recommend, and what we’d for his Living Room setup if he doesn’t move again.- Monoprice full-motion TV mount: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6200– Dayton Wave-Link: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wave-link-wls-system-24-ghz-full-range-wireless-pair–300-594– Ascend Sierra Luna speakers: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/luna/luna.html
1:50:56 Brandon N. gets our subwoofer recommendations for an open-concept space with a fairly small theater area, asks whether the SVS SB-3000 or PC-2000 has more output, finds out which subwoofers we own, and asks if HSU subs have DSP protection.- SVS PC-4000: https://www.svsound.com/collections/4000-series-dual-subwoofers/products/dual-pc-4000– Power Sound Audio V3611: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V3611Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!