AV Rant #639: HYPE!
Our thanks to Lee Overstreet for pinch hitting last week as our guest co-host.
Pictures show in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmCuQURV
In the news: All the details about Disney+. And you can finally change your Sony PSN ID, although not without many potential consequences.
Rob F. warns that even Certified Premium HDMI cables with the hologram sticker aren’t necessarily all equal. And Nick B. thought we’d get a kick
0:27:51 Josh asks about in-ceiling speaker backer boxes and whether LCD TV quality has peaked.
0:35:20 Dave needs an additional 18 Gbps HDMI switch and a way to control two HDMI switches independently with a Harmony Hub.
– Sewell SwitchDeck: https://sewelldirect.com/5×1-hdmi-switchdeck-with-onoff-autoswitching-
– Harmony Precision IR: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-precision-ir-cables
0:38:26 Bret R. asks if there’s an HDMI solution that can fit in a 3/4″ conduit, as well as for a SoundBar recommendation and a way to mount it with a wall-mounted TV.
– Emotiva HDBaseT: https://emotiva.com/products/hdmi-hdbaset-signal-extender
– Monoprice SlimRun Fiber Optic HDMI: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33280
– Yamaha BAR 400: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/sound_bar/musiccast_bar_400/index.html
– WALI Universal SoundBar Mount: https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Universal-Bracket-Mounting-Capacity/dp/B01GUIEFJC/
0:49:51 Patrick P. wants to know what cameras we use for our YouTube videos.
0:52:20 Miguel M. wonders if there’s an audible difference between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus.
0:58:06 Karl R. gets our responses to the questions posed in the Home Theater Review article, Thoughts on My First Commercial Movie Theater Experience in 15 Years, and our reactions to the Bang & Olufsen Beovision Harmony OLED TV.
– B&O Beovision Harmony: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/04/08/beovision-harmony-tv-bang-olufsen-television/
1:16:38 Greg R. wants to get specific about in-ceiling Atmos speaker
– Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
1:36:28 Alfred W. wants to know if we think he should replace his Polk LSi speakers with SVS Ultras.
1:43:22 Infinite Gary asks if there’s an “ideal” amount of ambient noise.
1:46:22 Kevin A. double checks with us if the Def Tech Mythos ST-L Slim SuperTowers are the right choice for his needs.
1:51:00 Alvin C. needs a bunch of HDMI capabilities from a new AV Receiver, but he wonders if room correction or having four Atmos speakers are high enough priorities that he should hold off.
1:57:35 Damien D. used Room EQ Wizard to help him improve his frequency response. We dig into further potential improvements by discussing: moving subwoofer locations (with the help of a wireless kit), bass traps, and external EQ.
– Dayton Wave-Link: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-wave-link-wls-system-24-ghz-full-range-wireless-pair–300-594
2:08:51 Robert G. wants to make his own Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray demo discs with full audio and video quality, including immersive audio.
– Avid Media Composer: https://www.avid.com/media-composer
– AVS Forum Demo Discs: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/1475769-demonstration-blu-ray-discs-independently-authored.html
– 4K Atmos & DTS:X Demo Clips: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3054458-reelwood-2019-demo-clips-collection-4k-atmos-dtsx-more.html